Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Wastage V Generosity
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:55 pm 

I have nearly got diabetes, the safe level is 4 to 7. Mine is 8.6.
The investment the NHS is pouring into my 1.6 of excess sugar could well be the reason they are going skint.
To assess the medication required to rid me of my 1.6 of certain death I have been given a really clever bit of kit so I can keep a record of my sugars for the next 2 weeks. (Cost unknown)
I have to drive a sterilised nail into a finger, dip a sensor into the blood and 'hey presto' the machine works it all out.....brilliant.
I us it twice one day then once the day after for a fortnight. By my reckoning I will need 35 nails and 35 sensor strips.
With my kit came a prescription for 200 nails and 100 sensor things?
I asked the pharmacist if I should bring him the left over bits and his reply was "Of course you can, they will only be incinerated though".
I shall use the sterilised hammer (which came with the kit) to knock in the surplus 165 sterilised nails and hang up some dirty pictures.
Waste less want less. (not sure if I can find a use for the other 65 spare parts though?)

Post subject: Re: Wastage V Generosity
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:21 pm 

You could always try your hand a a bit of self inflicted acupuncture.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:27 pm 

By the sound of all that he could put up a shelf of knock up a bird table. Sounds awful!
Try not to bleed over the furniture, OW.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:04 pm 

What's this level thing you are talking about OW?
I suppose I should look it up on Wiki but if I ask you it might take your mind of it but there again it could distract you and disaster could occur.
I'm confused now. Is that what it is "confusion level"?
You certainly confuse me OW. I could say "you are awful... but I like you" but that would probably cause more confusion.
To be quite honest I just got a bit sick when you started talking about driving nails into fingers. Sounds a bit 'Gestapoish' to me or masochistic. I am definitely not going to find out if I am level or not,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:00 am 

cromwell man wrote:
....I just got a bit sick when you started talking about driving nails into fingers. I am definitely not going to find out if I am level or not.

So you wouldn't be open to driving hollow needles into your forearm? Not even to lower your haemoglobin level and find out what it reads? I guess that rules you out as a blood donor.
I hope you'll have someone who is, when the time comes for a top-up. Out here, the number are barely over 3% keeping the bank in the black (with the red stuff).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:31 am 

Don't jump before you are pushed GG. Was a donor for many years but sadly medical condition doesn't allow, and if you weren't so busy trying to be clever you might see the joke.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:00 am 

The point I was trying to get across folks was that I have got to do and record 35 tests. The amount of disposable items I have totals 300. (2 items per test).
I would have thought poorer countries like Somalia or Wales would be pleased to receive a box full of
our unused medical supplies.

P.S. The nails I mentioned give you just a pinprick but were added for dramatic effect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:45 am 

Most of us got your point OW and were trying to make light of it.
It won't be the first time that the NHS has been accused of wastage OW. They, or at least the procurers of supplies for same, seem to think that, and it is probably true, that it is cheaper to buy 50 million whatevers rather than 20million. That gives them 30 million wastage. Your 300 odd seems to pale into insignificance.
That was it wasn't it. Gloves, surgical gloves. Millions bought only to find out that half the staff were allergic to them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:56 am 

olderandwiser wrote:
The nails I mentioned give you just a pinprick but were added for dramatic effect.

How fortunate that we live in an era and society where the needles are not being thrust into facsimile dolls.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:07 am 

A mixed batch here.
Longterm mate is now pricking his finger twice daily for his newly-announced diabetes type 2. Medical orders require him to lose weight, get more exercise and modify his diet, all things his friends could have told him 15 years ago.

The uninvited catalogues arrived again yesterday. As a child, you could get beds for one or two people: end of story. Then came 'queen' beds (available to people of any sexuality), followed by king beds (available to non-royalty). Today I see I have the option of superking at 203 cm by 203 cm. (designed for 3 people, maybe?).

The next catalogue had clothes and underwear for real people, not just the "Beautiful People". Hence it includes 'plus sized' models and attire, including a comely bra in sizes up to 22DD and 22E. Maybe there's a relationship between the beds and their tenants?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:43 am 

It's a sign of the times GG, we have heavy duty ambulances, stretchers and wheechairs with window fitters on standby to allow access to remove heavyweights from top floor flats. We have disability scooters as big as tractors 15 stone (95kg) 10 year olds and everyone agrees we may have a problem?
Last week we had a supersize model in a bikini on a trampoline performing seismic leaps to prove she was not only fat & happy but healthy too.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:47 am 

olderandwiser wrote:
.... to prove she was not only fat & happy but healthy too.

More like a ticking time bomb, maybe. "Overactive glands" is hardly a defence; no one got that way by deep breathing - it's a function of portion size.

That said, after a decade of joyous retirement, fine chocolate, morning teas and modest (little) vigorous exercise (while upright), I saw a figure on my scales this week that involved a one and two zeros to the left of the decimal. I may have to stop enjoying myself so much.