Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:48 pm 

Long-standing British friends, resident in France for some time, have finally taken the decision to request French nationality. They retired just two years ago, after selling their business and house in the UK. Brexit was the deciding factor. However, they will have to wait approximately one year for the naturalisation process to be finalised, due to the number of applicants seeking French nationality!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:34 pm 

I commend your friends Merry. There's nothing wrong with retaining home citizenship when moving to another country, unless it's done as an escape clause or to hang on to NHS treatment rights, but joining the adopted nation properly seems right somehow, more respectful. I don't understand why Brexit should have anything to do with it although there have been some appalling cases of xenophobic and racist attacks on EU citizens. On the other hand we don't strip burkinis off bathers and France is hardly immune from racist attacks while it is arguable that Britain is still the most tolerant nation in Europe. After all, we're all descended from immigrants to some degree, mainly French and Viking in my case.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:16 pm 

The remain propaganda machine has claimed it's first big victory. Honda is throwing in the towel and who can blame 'em?
The thought of no food, petrol and medicines, not to mention shortages of their major food groups of rice, fish and noodles would send many a faint hearted foriegner packing up and heading back home.
While the remainers are dancing with glee it's up to us to remind 'em that it was them who frightened people to death in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 pm 

The Beeb have banged on all afternoon about the Brexit connection despite the repeated statements from Honda that Brexit has nothing to do with it. But there you go, just yet another lie from Remain about Brexit lies. I don't take any of it seriously any more and I'm now convinced it ain't gonna happen. There's a pattern emerging:
Extend Article 50 until a deal can be reached.
Continually fail to reach a deal.
Extend the extension.
Extend the extended extension.
Eventually let it die.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 pm 

Mr Dyson is moving business offshore. Now Honda UK is leaving its EU production by 2020. All a bit sad.
"As the nation sinks slowly in the west...."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 am 

Yes, the Beeb have played the doom-and-gloom card ever since the referendum: they've joined the Guardian and the Hard Left in proclaiming that Britain can do no right.

We must make sure it costs them the licence fee. Why should we pay a tax to subsidise a campaign for our own downfall?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 am 

With so much uncertainty, there appears to be little of 'survivalist' stocking up of bunkers, USAlien-style but the news reported this morning that Heathrow is stocking up on disposable gloves (worn by the security checkers) and the small pads they use for the ion swabs.
Unwelcome news was to hear that, in the absence of a trade agreement, the default tariff on meat and cheese fro the EU will become 40%. That might hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:50 am 

Grizzled Grizzler wrote:
Unwelcome news was to hear that, in the absence of a trade agreement, the default tariff on meat and cheese fro the EU will become 40%. That might hurt.

Not quite GG, and this is the bit nobody ever mentions. The tariff won't become 40% as though this is some sort of unavoidable status quo. It will be imposed by both side's governments each to punish the other. It can be avoided by a simple agreement between grown-ups, as in "You don't punch my nose and I won't punch yours".

Its the same with all this talk about avoiding a hard border with customs posts on the NI border, as though without some complicated agreement and 'backstop' the posts will suddenly appear as if my magic. This when all three authorities (EU, Irish Republic and UK say they will not build them.