Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:40 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: It’s that man again
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:13 am 

Greetings ex friends.

I’m very sorry to see the forum seems to have folded. For a decade or more it was a constant delight to me and although we eventually fell out over Brexit, I would like to record my sincere thanks to CC for devising it and staying at the helm for so long.

BOB, and FUME before it, were unique. In an increasingly brutal age, they were beacons of wit, intellect and wisdom. I miss them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:02 am 

Hear hear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:55 am 

"Folded" you say? Surely the verbal origami has not ceased?
True, age shall weary them but are we bereft of bluster and bombast? Or have we exhausted the energy that generates no improvement in our declining society?

Rage, I say, rage against the dying of the forum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:31 am 

Well, I must apologise to all for my recent contribution to the 'folding', brought about by a cerebellar stroke during the very early morning of 13th April - emergency ambulance trip, Xray, MRI you-name-it - emerging early this week. My kind of stroke (about 3%) involves loss of balance, double vision and dizziness, interference with most motor functions including, annoyingly, finger coordination, making typing a nightmare. As I understand it the particular areas of the brain previously responsible for all these functions were virtually destroyed and it will take up to 6 months for other areas to recognise the deficiencies and take over. But I am making small progress having all but eliminated the waves of 'imbalance' nausea and achieved moderately efficient forward motion as long as I concentrate.

That's close to my limit for the mo, but I'll keep looking in and do what I can. A fond welcome back to Hooky and many congratulations on his side's Brexit success having all but destroyed it. I see nothing in the mess of proposals being indicatively voted on that even vaguely resembles what I voted for. I bear no resentment and now treat the whole exercise as a rather comical political farce that grows funnier by the day (the Fiona Onasanya one-vote win?). The EU Parliament elections should be an absolute scream and 5 years of Corbynista Marxism'll have us all wetting ourselves as we slide inexorably from nation state to international joke.

Thank God we've still got Jean Claude!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:23 pm 

I was so sorry to read your post CC. If determination is the characteristic necessary for recovery, you’ll be back in a jiffy. Meanwhile take good care of yourself As far as Brexit is concerned I think we have found common ground at last. They are all tossers except you and I (and Senex of course).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:41 pm 

Er. Hang on I didn’t mean contributors to BOB, I meant politicians. Just thought I’d clear that up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:31 am 

Hook Dangler wrote:
Er. Hang on I didn’t mean contributors to BOB, I meant politicians. Just thought I’d clear that up.

Just in time, my friend. I was about to drop a dog turd in your letterbox.
Not really: it's a bit far from Fleurieu's glorious country: rolling hills and fine wineries.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
.... a cerebellar stroke during the very early morning of 13th April....
My kind of stroke (about 3%) involves loss of balance, double vision and dizziness, interference with most motor functions including, annoyingly, finger coordination, making typing a nightmare.

And not a Friday either. Your extended text would give little clue to your newfound condition so you are a testimony to perseverance and tenacity (or are they the same?).
Quote:
As I understand it the particular areas of the brain previously responsible for all these functions were virtually destroyed and it will take up to 6 months for other areas to recognise the deficiencies and take over.

What a wonderful this newly discovered - or appreciated - thing, neuroplasticity! As with smells and hearing improving with loss of sight, your alternative neurones will adapt to some functions not initially on their jobs list - marvellous: all without medical intervention.
We live in hope of your continued contributions, CC. If only we had a carbon-copy (CC) of you; we could use two of your calibre.