Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: The future of BOB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:18 pm 

Today I read that BoB might have outlived its usefulness and may perish in the coming year and suddenly I am concerned at this possible outcome even though I have not read or written anything on the site for a long time. I simply drifted away from the forum as other things took my interest. And I certainly did not feel - and do not feel - that my occasional contributions had done much to change the world, or even the opinions of other members.
There have been times when discourse has been very interesting, and I have certainly enjoyed the posts of Senex and the gentle humour of Merry, while the robustness of GG down there in Oz also made a nice change.
But overall I guess there are simply too few who want to exchange views and opinions, just as there are fewer now who wish to sit and write a letter. With communication made so immediate and so easy few seem to want to communicate at all. And then there is Facebook where people claim to have masses of friends - and yet there is little or no communication between them. Friends are simply a number, a score to be boasted about without any personal commitment at all.
I have a very few friends in life. People I have known for years, possible served with, and who are always ready with a helping hand, a smile or a kind word and to whom I can offer the same. They are friends of course, with whom there is still communication wherever in the world they may be.
And of course, another fault of mine in my dotage is that I ramble on, almost to the point of losing my drift - and sometimes even beyond that point as you will have noticed.
So, to return to the subject; Do We Need BOB ? Would we still need it if we had to pay to covers its costs ? I think the answer generally would be YES to both, but is there anything we can do to expand membership without dragging in those who would despoil the site ? I suspect not, as I have tried with no real success, in a world where the written word no longer carries the weight, or stirs the interest as it used to do. Instant gratification is the watchword today.
I shall make a point of logging on to the Forum more frequently and, if I have something worth saying, I'll aim to say it. But as this epistle makes abundantly clear, I do not always have interesting views to exchange.

If you can, do Keep On Keeping On. Regards and the compliments of the season to you all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:10 am 

Interesting that we were wondering about the future of BOB four years ago when interest seemed to be declining and the situation has far from improved. This years, as you know, I have seriously considered pulling the plug, but with the renewal date just weeks away I've decided to go at least another year.

We lost Rev and Crom to the Grim Reaper and Merry seems to have drifted away, but a few stout hearts still call in from time to time. I suspect that some members have withdrawn over Brexit, which is a pity because it's out of our hands and as we all know Wyrd bið ful aræd. I'll leave you to puzzle over that one and even Senex might scratch his head a bit.

So thanks to all who still support the cause and if the rest of you can give us a few minutes now and then perhaps BOB will still have its part to play. If we could get St Theresa to sign up we might even get this ridiculous country sorted out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:33 am 

Have you been reading Beowulf in the original, CC?

Hopefully fate will come down on the side of a healthy and long continuing BoB.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:01 am 

Quote:
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

I looked it up and can only think you are showing off as I still can't understand it? You may have beaten Hooky into submission but will find it harder to get rid of the rest of us.
PS. If hooky has died I meant no disrespect.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:15 am 

greg wrote:
Have you been reading Beowulf in the original, CC?

Nothing so clever. I picked it up from reading Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles series. I now know that it wasn't Alfred the Great, Edward and Athelstan who created the England we know and love, but Uhtred of Bebbanburg who won every battle, killed all the nasty Danes and made Aethelflaed, Lady of Mercia, very happy in a horizontal manner of speaking. The fact that Bernard C. is descended from the lords of Bebbanburg (Bamburgh Castle) makes me a tiny bit suspicious, but he wouldn't tell porkies, would he?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:18 am 

olderandwiser wrote:
Quote:
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

I looked it up and can only think you are showing off as I still can't understand it?

'Fate is inexorable', although I had to look up inexorable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:53 am 

After reading your last post, CC I also looked up inexorable - no surprises but I found this on the page of results, appropriate for the approach of most Remainers to Brexit:

After much discussion, debate, and research, the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2016 is post-truth – an adjective defined as ‘relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief’.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:18 am 

greg wrote:
....the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2016 is post-truth....

By now many people are post-caring.
I heard lately someone is passing a law against publication of unfacts of 'alternate-news' liable to provoke enmity and the like.
The first one to come to my mind was the announcement of Sadaam Hussein's troops looting humidicribs from Kuwait in Desert Storm 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:04 pm 

Quote:
I've decided to go at least another year.

I am really pleased with this decision CC. Where else can we spread our disgust at the machinations of the every day world. Have you taken into account that we are a dying breed or that one day we will all find it hard to operate our keyboards with skeletal arthritic fingers?
I refuse to buy a bag for life on the grounds that it will probably outlast me so it might be wiser to pay the subscription one month at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:14 pm 

We have about half a dozen bags for life. Hook 'em on the back of the trolley on the way in, load them at the checkout, carry to the car without the handles tearing off or the bottoms dropping out, into the house, unload and back in the car for next time. Not to mention the myriad other uses they can be put to - carrying tools about the house, papers to council meetings, old clothes to the charity shops, packing for family visits etc. And if they outlive me they'll join everything else that I won't outlive, including my complete and extensive tool kit, two guitars and a banjo that'll all probably end up in a skip - but I doubt I'll care when the time comes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:30 pm 

olderandwiser wrote:
Quote:
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

I looked it up and can only think you are showing off as I still can't understand it? You may have beaten Hooky into submission but will find it harder to get rid of the rest of us.
PS. If hooky has died I meant no disrespect.

No I'm not dead and yes I have been beaten into submission. You forget OW, I've been banging my head on this particular block of cement for nigh on two decades.