Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:18 pm 

As a consequence of being a couch potato my radio or TV is on for most of the day. Between eating, sleeping and going to the toilet I sometimes catch a snippet of information that captures my imagination.
Today an IV professor was regaling a panel of celebrities on the rights and wrongs of splicing genes to rid us of defects when another on the panel suggested that it is wrong as some people LIKE being deaf anyway? With the other celebs nodding in agreement I wondered, did they 'really' just say that?
Can we 'really' enjoy being deaf? or blind? or having bad knees? Apparently, if you're a celebrity living in London, we do?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:04 pm 

I've heard this claim before and I don't understand it either, although I can imagine that someone afflicted with deafness who has learned sign, along with all their family, might worry about the change from their settled existence through being cured. What worries me more is that some such claimants wish deafness on their offspring as though it's a lifestyle choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:30 pm 

Another professor, a different subject, same madness.
Presumedly brought on by the referendum result a mad scientist has suggested that there should be an upper limit to the voting age? Not because of creeping senility or bad knees but because of the chance that we will be dead before we have to suffer the consequences of our decisions?
Ok, fair enough, but it was the bit about the voting age being as low as 6 years old that realy caught my attention. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... y-academic
6 year old's are far too busy worrying about spelling tests, university places and what sex they want to be when they are older, if voting for Brexit was the last chance of the baby boomers to stick two fingers up to the younger generation why did we wait so long to do it? After all, we could be dead before we get to enjoy it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:16 pm 

My son mentioned the recommended 75 age limit and I'm wondering if it might be a good idea. It's outrageous, of course, but if oldies are denied the right to vote for the politicians who set the laws we are supposed to obey, doesn't that mean they'll be exempt from obeying them? It certainly rules out paying any tax (no taxation without representation. It could be heaps of fun.

As for voting at 6, that would have to include marriage, sex, gun licences, jury service, driving, and of course, qualifying for political office which must be a huge improvement on the bunch of infantile wankers presently wrecking the country.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:06 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
My son mentioned the recommended 75 age limit....

Now if only we could get the age restriction introduced for the USA's Supreme Court.
Maybe that might cull the frail relics who remain on a handsome stipend until they drop, unless removed for intellectual impairment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 pm 

Much to the annoyance of the young we are sill hanging on getting fatter and richer while spending more of our childrens inheritence every day.
There is already talk of banning us for the missuse of our voting rights but now, thanks to Phil the Greek and his recent prang, it seems that we are no longer fit to drive? Using the remainers argument that we 'might' not have the same reaction time as the young or we 'might' be too cautious or we 'might' even be in the early throws of alzheimers?
Don't feel too bad about this as it's for our own protection but I don't see many young folk rushing to make me a 'cuppa' to save me from boiling myself to death with a hot kettle or relieve the stresses and strains of shoving a massive duvet into a tiny cover. (still not cracked it)
Now, the final nail in the coffin is having to exist on a single bite of a sausage or a quarter of an egg a day to save the planet for the ungrateful little shits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:07 pm 

From the DT this morning: "Research published in 2016 by Swansea University showed that drivers aged 70 are involved in three to four times fewer accidents than men of 17 to 21." From another source: "Drivers under the age of 25 cause 85% of all ‘serious injury’ road accidents"
https://www.click4reg.co.uk/blog/driver ... -25-cause/
And another: "What's more, though drivers aged 17-19 only make up 1.5% of UK license holders; they are involved in 9% of fatal crashes where they are the driver – and altogether, drivers under the age of 25 cause 85% of all 'serious injury' accidents therefore, disproportionately effecting insurance claims."

Of course we must be sure that all drivers are fit to drive and elderly drivers especially given that bodies and minds are apt to fail in our later years, but if we are to penalised on the basis of age let it be according to the statistics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:06 pm 

Attachment:
Duke dashcam.jpg
Duke dashcam.jpg [ 48.53 KiB | Viewed 77 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:24 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
"Research published in 2016 by Swansea University showed that drivers aged 70 are involved in three to four times fewer accidents than men of 17 to 21." From another source: "Drivers under the age of 25 cause 85% of all ‘serious injury’ road accidents"

Care needed here: is that because there are less drivers in the cohort? Did they mean "per hundred"?
And we now know that males under 25 haven't yet matured the part of the brain that assesses risk and consequences.
Perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to marry either - for the good of both parties.