Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

 

 

 

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

 
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 5357
Location: Holst country (to be different)
I listened to the news about this person, and accept that he might have been convicted from evidence obtained by torture. Now from what I can gather it was not torture on him but on other people to gain that evidence. All a bit worrying and maybe a good reason not to send him home.
But then I hear he is here on an illegal passport. Surely enough of a reason to send him back home. Then i hear that he had £107,000 in the bank. Now when you consider he hasn't done a stroke of work since he has been in this country and has actually been on benefits, where does all that money come from. Has he not fiddled his benefits? Now all of this is alleged, but surely we have enough reason to send him home.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 6348
There are two questions here, to neither of which I know the answer.

1) Has he committed a crime in this country? If not, why is he being held in prison? Is it at the request of the Jordanian authorities? If so why hasn't a writ for habeas corpus been issued (or am I living in that distant past when freedom meant freedom?)

2) Am I right in thinking the Jordanians seek his extradition, we are happy to comply, but the European Court have said we can't. If that is the case here's what we should do. Deliver him, overnight in an unmarked van, to Brussels (or Strasbourg). Then make bloody sure he can't get back in again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:18 pm
Posts: 3227
Location: Elgar country
Hook Dangler wrote:
1) Has he committed a crime in this country? If not, why is he being held in prison? Is it at the request of the Jordanian authorities? If so why hasn't a writ for habeas corpus been issued (or am I living in that distant past when freedom meant freedom?)

2) Am I right in thinking the Jordanians seek his extradition, we are happy to comply, but the European Court have said we can't. If that is the case here's what we should do. Deliver him, overnight in an unmarked van, to Brussels (or Strasbourg). Then make bloody sure he can't get back in again.

Well, as I understand it....

1) The only case against him is in Jordan (that in itself surprises me, given how dangerous he is supposed to be). Habeas corpus has been applied: he's out on bail, with very tough conditions (no phone or internet, house arrest apart from two hours a day). Freedom does still vaguely mean freedom, which is why we have the problem.

2) Yes, our Supreme Court accepted the Jordanian assurances that no questionable evidence would be used: the Euro Court did not. Theresa May is clearly spitting blood, and this might even end up, like Dave's treaty 'veto', as a serious rift with that Court.

Crom wonders about the legality of the man's financial position. I doubt there's really any offence - such a man is unlikely to fall into the same trap as Al Capone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 6348
Thank you for that Senex. Why then is he here? Is he a fugitive from justice who got in here illegally. Or does he just love us?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 5357
Location: Holst country (to be different)
Yes he is illegal. He came in on an illegal passport.
I could care less about the tax SI, it's the fact that he has £107,000 and is claiming housing benefit for his family. Must be something going on there that is against the law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Kent coast
He hates Britain. He hates the Infidel. He preaches sedition. He'd bring the whole system tumbling down if he could. He came here illegally for purposes unknown. He is seen as a danger to the State.
So..... We pay him £1000 monthly in benefits and stump-up half a million a year for his protection.
My wife and I always worked, always paid our way and have some years of service to Queen and country to our credit - yet we receive nothing like as much in State pensions and, because we were thrifty, we have no entitlement to benefits either.
Being in prison that sod doesn't even have to pay for food or heating. If I could I would certainly have him him dumped somewhere along with Abu Hamza, and if it happened to be in the ocean, then so be it.
Why does Britain allow itself to be a laughing stock ? We were a proud nation which stood-up for itself. Now we're the dustbin of humanity - with State sanction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:56 pm
Posts: 1475
Location: Switzerland
Why isn't this guy just simply bumped-off? Major, I also thought about putting the individual in a plane, flying out over the sea, opening the door and pushing him out. But that would be cumbersome. There are enough professionals around, on both sides of the law, who could quite simply make him "disappear". And please don't tell me its against his 'uman rights/illegal!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Kent coast
Why, Merry ? I suspect it's because we abide by the law and obey even the diktats of Brussels and Strasbourg to the last letter. If the job were left to public opinion and action, the matter would have been resolved ages ago.
At least Nigel Farage, whom I do not like, has stood-up today to demand unilateral action by Britain on this one. Why are we extraditing an English businessman to the USA to face - eventually - charges of exporting to Iran, (after the USA set-up some sting operation to entrap him), and as he made the princely sum of £350 forwarding some batteries in all innocence, when we have to keep, and pay for, the likes of Qatada and Abu Hamza ( who is wanted by the USA ).
We have seen the ignominy of British troops marching through Luton, I think, on a welcome home parade and being harangued by Muslim youths at the roadside, without being allowed to do a damn thing about it. Nor did the Law do anything about it.
I say again, this once proud nation is being brought to its knees by political correctness, and the recognition of laws made elsewhere,in a discredited, unelected parliament, which pay no heed to the real situation.
Let us, for God's sake ( or any other Deity ) simply get rid of these people and stand-up to the consequences later. Even Mr. Rompuy can't shoot the lot of us !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 am
Posts: 5976
Location: Fleurieu, South Australia
majorupset wrote:
We have seen the ignominy of British troops marching through Luton, I think, on a welcome home parade and being harangued by Muslim youths at the roadside, without being allowed to do a damn thing about it. Nor did the Law do anything about it.

Isn't there a line about, "I disagree with your opinion but will fight for your right to express it"?
I would find it offensive too but that's what democracy allows - to a point.
Just as it allows people to tattoo themselves with Satanic worship symbols, pierce their faces and hang chains from them, and wear tailored suits with tee-shirts and 3-days' beard - all of which I find offensive (on a different level, admittedly).

_________________
Love people, use things - not the opposite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:21 am
Posts: 3402
Location: Surrey
When the opinion being expressed is one that advocates the overthrow of the democratic state by force, then the democratic state has a legitimate case for taking a stand against it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 am
Posts: 5976
Location: Fleurieu, South Australia
greg wrote:
When the opinion being expressed is one that advocates the overthrow of the democratic state by force, then the democratic state has a legitimate case for taking a stand against it.

Don't you already have legislation to cover that? Insurrection, treason or summat?
Looked on quite severely here.

_________________
Love people, use things - not the opposite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:21 am
Posts: 3402
Location: Surrey
It's looked at severely here as well, however we have the so-called European Court of Human Rights to deal with and that seems to put the 'rights' of the individual far above such mundane concepts as protecting the population from a terrorist, convicted in his own country, and here as an illegal. And people wonder why a majority of the population do not like the Human Rights Act in its present form and despise the EU.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 5357
Location: Holst country (to be different)
According to the papers even his Mum wonders why he is still here and not back home.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:18 pm
Posts: 3227
Location: Elgar country
cromwell man wrote:
According to the papers even his Mum wonders why he is still here and not back home.

Again according to the papers, he and his family have so far cost us £500,000 in benefits, with a decade of legal fees on top of that. And the sum in his account is £170,000, but it has to be preserved for his use. I'm surprised the guy hasn't died from laughing at us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abu Qatada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 6348
Senex Iracundus wrote:
cromwell man wrote:
According to the papers even his Mum wonders why he is still here and not back home.

Again according to the papers, he and his family have so far cost us £500,000 in benefits, with a decade of legal fees on top of that. And the sum in his account is £170,000, but it has to be preserved for his use. I'm surprised the guy hasn't died from laughing at us.


Maybe he is laughing at us, but if so he's a fool. Democracy is far better than the brain washed sterility he offers. If he's got away with a few quid because we are honest enough to consider his rights, so be it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group