Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:29 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Policemen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:06 am 

Hook Dangler wrote:
There is a frightening attitude of 'them and us' becoming the norm....

They don't help their case when they switch to all-dark outfits with "stab-jackets", worn with so much hardware on their utility belts that they can hardly run.
Mind you, the promotional photos look less sinister with short sleeves

Attachments:
Coppers.jpg
Coppers.jpg [ 126.32 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]
Nsw-police-officer-with-tattoo.jpg
Nsw-police-officer-with-tattoo.jpg [ 57.46 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:44 am 

Hook Dangler wrote:
The Police Force is under threat at present. There is a frightening attitude of 'them and us' becoming the norm, so I'll tiptoe around the case of the bent officer and the 'arrogant yob', to ask what you all think of the Duggan case. I know little of the shooting so cannot comment. Its the family that frighten me. They are being given all the publicity they seek by the Media, to pursue their quest for an enormous wodge of compensation. The threats to the jury, the anger at the verdict, the hints of violence to come, are all part of a campaign to squeeze dosh out of the system.

I often have concerns over police behaviour, but in isolated incidents mostly, with some for the culture that may be developing. The case of Duggan caused some concern, but it has been decided, not by an internal enquiry (as too many are) but by an inquest jury and if that's not good enough we are in serious trouble. Your points about the family's behaviour are spot on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:55 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:08 am 

Always the concern on how the police are acting. Never a question as to how the criminal is acting. The family of Duggan have threatened to take it to court but has there been any suggestion that Duggan and his life be taken to an inquiry? Surely if it could be proved that he was indeed a "gangster" and that people in the area were terrified of him, the family would hopefully creep away buck under the rocks. If it were proved the other way then the case against the police would be even stronger. Just one other point who will pay for the court case if it is taken up? Surely not legal aid!! "Compo" seems the likely outcome.
I suggest that the police are in a conundrum. Leadership is sadly lacking and nearly always the copper on the beat is hung out to dry when push comes to shove. Yes there have been some problems and "plebgate" only exacerbates their position. Ok the policeman lied, guilty m'lud, but Mitchell still swore at him. Mitchell also taped a conversation that the other participants knew nothing about. Is that right? Once again the police are pilloried, Mitchell who started it all by swearing and being an arse is considered a hero.
Tottenham seems out of control and that includes on the football pitch.
By the way the "Royal" dance hall is or was opposite that police station, now housing. A mecca for young lads back in my day. It was rumoured then that there was a tunnel under the road to the police station so they could rush in reinforcements if the Teds or the Mods, it was never really a Rocker venue, got out of hand.
Dave Clark Five, Englebert Humperdinck??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:03 pm 

Engelbert was never at the Royal Crom, but Dave Clark most definitely! Mike Smith, Edmonton lad, was a great guitarist, but I always thought Dave was left-handed, if you get my meaning! He never quite made the grade!

So long ago, 40 years plus! A great deal of water has run under the bridge since! One cannot put the clock back!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:07 pm 

Another reflection - I spent 3 years at Tottenham Tech (now known as the University of London - not to be confused with London University - a couple of centuries ago. Not exactly upmarket then, but safe enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:36 pm 

He performed there as Gerry Dorsey Merry. He was the resident singer for a while with the resident band.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:39 pm 

Must have been before my time Crom! But I do recall that EH used the name Gerry Dorsey.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:12 pm 

Born Arnold George Dorsey in Madras. Look him up on Wiki Merry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:31 am 

cromwell man wrote:
Born Arnold George Dorsey in Madras.

That would explain his low reflectivity.
A harmless crooner who made a few quid from the ladies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:19 pm 

[quote="Shufti Cush"]My concerns over police behavour occur when they become suspected of being pawns to a political party ...

Pawns to a political party you say. So who are the Police Federation pawns to? Don't tell me its the dreaded Tories again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:01 pm 

At one time had anyone been asked if they would help if they saw a policeman getting his head kicked in the vast majority would have replied in the affirmative. If one were asked today answer could be “it depends how many were kicking his head in. They may not need any help.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:23 pm 

I suppose the obvious answer is yes, I would assist if I was able because the victim would be a person as well as a policeman, but cases like that of Andrew Woodhouse give cause for concern about the motivation of our police:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-25856722

Or maybe it's just the system.

Woodhouse was cleared which suggests no case need have been brought, but he still had to face months of anguish waiting for his case to come up. Some might think some sort of medal would be in order. And the thieves were fined £75 each. When a crime is reported we have clod plods who arrive at the scene and have difficulty deciding who is the offender, often, as in this case, arresting the victim.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:07 pm 

Revolutionist wrote:
If one were asked today answer could be “it depends how many were kicking his head in. They may not need any help.”

Your contribution is unbecoming and offensive.
Just what aspect of gang thuggery against an officer of the government - or anyone else - do you find comic?
A sound explanation or a withdrawal/deletion is appropriate, particularly from one who would espouse righteousness and justice, as I would.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:29 pm 

Grizzled Grizzler wrote:
Revolutionist wrote:
If one were asked today answer could be “it depends how many were kicking his head in. They may not need any help.”

Your contribution is unbecoming and offensive.
Just what aspect of gang thuggery against an officer of the government - or anyone else - do you find comic?
A sound explanation or a withdrawal/deletion is appropriate, particularly from one who would espouse righteousness and justice, as I would.

Read it again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next