Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:54 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:07 am 

What you say is true, GG, but I can't see how the law could be written to address those occasions when there is an imbalance. What your new law has sought to do (and ours has for some years) is to correct the far more obvious imbalance wherein women always got the raw end of the deal - worked hard to support the husband, care for his home, raise his children etc. - but were handed no more than a modest, enough to survive on, compensation package on divorce while he kept his millions. If marriage is not to be an equal contract it is hardly worth the certificate. The Monarch and her spouse are hardly a typical case.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 am 

I caught only a part of a radio report this morning but the federal racial discrimination commissioner commented that people had recently received "six-figure sums" as a result of civil claims for compensation related to defamation hearings where individuals were called "grubs" or "stupid".
I wonder what proportion the ambulance-chasers got out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:11 am 

Its a very complicated business. When Jo and I split we simply divided everything. I had been the breadwinner but she had been the mother to our children and provider of the family home.

These days its different. I'll leave a modest amount to Tom and Sally but that fact has made them wary about formal relationships. They know that if they marry, or even live with, someone on the make, they'll be robbed of half their assets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:03 am 

It occurred to me recently (I think some minister mentioned it) that pre-nup agreements are probably a good thing to consider when contemplating marriage. In my reasoning it goes like this: if it crosses your mind that you might need a pre-nup, cancel the wedding and seek a new partner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:25 pm 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
It occurred to me recently (I think some minister mentioned it) that pre-nup agreements are probably a good thing to consider when contemplating marriage. In my reasoning it goes like this: if it crosses your mind that you might need a pre-nup, cancel the wedding and seek a new partner.

You're right, CC. Just last week there was a case of a man who'd married an heiress. They'd signed a pre-nup, in which the man declared that, in the event of separation, he would never make a claim against his wife's fortune. But, on divorce, he reneged, and took his claim for £2.2m to court. The court overturned the pre-nup and awarded him £1.3m (inc. £900K for a house). What can you do?

Hooky must now decide whether to tell Tom and Sally about this!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:00 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
....if it crosses your mind that you might need a pre-nup, cancel the wedding and seek a new partner.

Agreed.
I heard it put that there was a time when life expetancies were short (late 30s) whe marriage for life was a decade or so.
It was proposed that a contract, say, ten years, with options to extend could replace marriage.
I hope I'll never see it.

That said, I heard of the case where a large family farm, developed over generations of sons, had been established in our 'outback'.
Son married a solicitor (woman, thankfully) who was informed when she arrived on the property that her job was to bake scones for the shearers.
Soon after, she split and asked for half the farm's value. Hardly fair. (I'm not sure of the outcome.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:02 am 

Have been watching a program on USA's policing of the browner members of their community.
Expect to be frequently pulled over for a licence check if you fit the above group.
Drive across ONE state and you pass through 17 municipal districts, each with their own police.
If you have a dud tail light, it'll be a possible 17 offences each with court costs.

And, by some quirk of local jurisprudence, if you are found not guilty in a hearing, you still pay court costs.
Nice little money earner.
"Land of the free..." for some.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:25 am 

Interesting industrial case, locally.
Man sued for compensation after being injured when he fell out of bed in a hotel room while shagging someone he had met in a bar during several drinks.
The room was provided by his employer in the terms of his travel on behalf of the business.
Case went to court, refused, then won on appeal, later dismissed by higher court.

Maybe they should have organised a futon for him, so that he slept on the floor (not one of the woosy types with legs).

Legal opinion suggested later that, had the overhead fan fallen on him, he could have sued but not if he'd been swinging on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:48 am 

When you've got to go....

The distinction between compensatory damages and punitive damages in civil claims is important, as this case shows.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38760559

For the sake of a bit of confusion, it appears the teacher has lost his/her job.

Hopefully, the kid will recover now.