Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:28 am 

I watched a further program on this centre this week.
The boss boasts - literally - that he feeds the prisoners on scrap meat, the offcuts and bones from local restaurants and schools etc.
That allows him to expend 40c a day per person but the prison's search and attack dogs' food costs $1.40.
To advance the humiliation, he issues pink underwear and uniforms and they can be taken out in pink handcuffs.
The tent section can reach 145 degrees and fans, where available, may or may not work.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... -tent-city
The locals approve to the extent that he gets reappointed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:36 am 

"Tent City residents now number more than 2,000, most of them awaiting trial."

Gawd bless the Land of the Free!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:17 am 

I really find some people very confusing. Once again a critical remark - "Tent City residents now number more than 2,000, most of them awaiting trial."

Gawd bless the Land of the Free! - and this from one who wants closer ties with that same land. If you think that you can just have trade times with the "land of the greed" then think again. They will do as they will always do and rip us off. Ask BP and refer the American lawyers who are ripping them off, if they have ever heard of Halliburton or Piper Alfa.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 am 

I can't quite see the connection between trading links and the US prison system.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:14 pm 

An instance to ponder on.
A burglar, described in the paper as "prolific", has been jailed for 4 years (note that) for breaking into a house just one month after being released from prison. He was jailed in 2011 for 5 years, but within weeks of his release on licence in 2014 he was at it. He was caught this time because he left his fingerprints on a money pot and DNA on a milk bottle that he drunk from. Not i believe the sharpest tool in the box. But in my opinion neither are the magistrates who have banged him up over the years.
His record: Jailed for 2 years in 2001.
30 months in 2003.
2004 a 40 month sentence.
2006 3 years.
2009 4 years and also 31 months in the same year.
2011 jailed for 5 years.
Now he was given 5 years in 2011 why in God's name does he only get 4 years in 2014. What was he doing out anyway. Should they not take all the time off for good behaviour that he has been given add it all up and slam it on the end of the 2014 sentence and tell him as he seem unable to control himself he doesn't get time off any more.
I'll say it again, we have forgotten how to punish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 pm 

Beats me, Crom. They say 'Crime Doesn't Pay', but I'm beginning to think it's the only thing that does.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:51 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
They say 'Crime Doesn't Pay', but I'm beginning to think it's the only thing that does.

I work on the "break even" principle. If the baddie gets five years for stealing $50 000, I reckon he's a fool. Ten grand a year is no 'break even'.
If he gets five years for $500 000, it might be a proposition, so long as he's had a chance to spend it or can later.
Almost invariably the test fails. What of five men at a service station, stealing smokes and sweets? Idiots! We had one gem recently who was holding up local veterinarians, hardly a know source of serious capital.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:15 pm 

cromwell man wrote:
I'll say it again, we have forgotten how to punish.

Well, Crom, your own post implies that time in prison has no corrective effect. So what do you recommend - the birch?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:25 pm 

No SI, this person like others is beyond rehabilitation so lock em up and throw away the key. No tele, no recreation apart from a bit of hemp picking, make it so they do not want to go back into prison again, but then we have the other side of the coin catching the buggers but even if the police do there best please don't allow some tree hugger to make all the hard work pointless.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:48 am 

I lean towards Crom on this one. When offenders commit crimes immediately upon release prison is clearly no deterrent, probably because it's too cushy with all discomforts removed. Take away the televisions and games machines, work them eight hours a day - not sewing mail bags but something useful, a strict regime of activities and meal times, good but basic food, plentiful supply of books, education, basic cells etc. Also make remission strictly dependent on the prisoner's behaviour with set periods of lost remission for each offence. If it doesn't hurt it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:08 am 

I would also like to see punishment for those who supervise the prisoner. If they are found to be complicit in importing contraband of any type into the prison they would join the general prison population. Would they be in danger? Of course they would but like the prisoner and using the old saying "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime". Some will say that you could never get anyone to be a Prison Officer if that was the case. Pay them a lot more than they get at the moment and they would not have to supplement their wages.
We have to get back to the idea that the criminal is the baddie and not the victim.