Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Harvey Winestain
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:03 am 

A beastly fellow, but I've been reading some of the accounts by actresses if his predations and wondering quite how thick they can be.

'He invited me to his room to see his etch... to discuss the film part' 17 year old invited to the hotel room by the fat, ugly film producer - not to the lobby or a meeting room, to his hotel bedroom. First thought? Don't go. Second thought? Dad? Big brother? Agent, Somebody? - You don't go alone to an older man's bedroom. Didn't their mothers tell them anything?

'He came to the door in his bathrobe.' I'm sorry, are they joking? And they went in? No way! If he carried a big neon sign saying 'I WANT TO DE-FROCK YOU' it couldn't be more bleedin' obvious.

'He went into the bathroom and came out naked.' Yes dear, of course he did. What the hell did you expect? What planet are you living on?

And following this encounter they leave the room and, hypothetically speaking, they pass the next child victim on her way up. OK, perhaps not that day, but sometime during the next 20 years while they say nothing having, of course, secured their own future in Hollywood. But now the truth has come out, thanks to some brave soul, they're all over the media recounting their long forgotten experiences. Well, perhaps not forgotten but certainly kept quiet about in their own interests. I can't say I have overmuch sympathy for any of them.

Post subject: Re: Harvey Winestain
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:18 pm 

He had so much power in the movie and acting business that a rejection of his advances would lead to the abrupt end of a career. It was he who arranged the money to make a film so, apart from the actresses, all those who needed his financial input were in thrall to him and therefor quite willing to cover up, or refute, allegations against him.
It seems a bit weird that this has only just been raised as even as far back as the 30s the famed 'casting couch' was a well known piece of kit for producers and directors, so he must have recently upset someone, other than an actress, with a lot of influence.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:55 pm 

I take the point but I'm not quite convinced. If the casting couch has been the system and the route to fame for actresses they still had the choice. I'm just trying to think of some wonderful career opportunity for which I would have submitted to being buggered and nothing comes to mind. Are there any actresses who made it without the couch? Jane Fonda, certainly (she said so) and I assume many others, or maybe it was only the talented ones.

Did it never occur to these aspiring actresses, supported by established actresses, to get together and stop this sort of behaviour? It didn't and they accepted it, and it seems a bit late to be complaining now. It might even be argued that those who went through it with the Weinsteins conspired, through their silence, against later young victims.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:56 pm 

What kind of arsehole assumes his influence and power entitles him?
Several prominent politicians have the same track record.
If it is true that "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac," then maybe their power tools should have their power source removed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:39 pm 

Back in 1998 an assistant to poor old Harvey signed a contract for £125,000 to keep quiet about his playful and sometimes misunderstood predilections.
Some of you might even remember that £125,000 was a lot of money back in them days?
Well, she's only gone and spent it and is now probably hoping for another payday. Let's hope that this money grubbing woman has the full weight of the law fall upon her and at the very least be made to pay back the money for telling tales she agreed not to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:04 pm 

I saw that story and it seems that far from getting another pay day she's likely to be sued for the return of the cash since while Harvey was being a bit naughty no crime was committed. Perhaps she was originally happy to take the cash but got worried when the big story blew that paid cover-up would come to light and decided to switch to the side of the angels a bit sharpish.

What does strike me is all the posed pictures of stars along with their stories of Harvey's naughtiness. There they stand, barely covered in a pose that has SEX written all over it. Yes, I know that under the new rules any display of raunchiness is fine and even a drunken invitation to hop naked into bed is not an invitation for sex without a written notarised contract, but you can understand blokes getting a bit confused.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 pm 

Now there's a thing, meaning nothing, but interesting. I just watched a film called St Vincent with Bill Murray, quite excellent, and then the credits came up - made by The Weinstein Company. Checked him out online and he's also responsible for Gangs of New York, The Secret Policeman's Ball and Shakespeare In Love amongst others.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:27 pm 

Two things have bugged me over this 'story' in recent weeks:-

1) the unseemly scale of the bandwag-on-jumping. The guy deserves little sympathy - no sympathy - but the sight of so many rushing to kick a man when he's down is far from edifying.

2) his name is spelt w-EI-nst-EI-n. The two vowel sounds are spelt the same. So he should be W-EE-nst-EE-n or W-EYE-nst-EYE-n. But the BBC, and many others, have settled on WINEstEEn. It's crazy. [Yes, I know the two A's in HANDBALL are pronounced differently - that's English for you. But Harvey's name is German in origin.]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:04 am 

I think I'll have to demur on your second point, Senex, as surely the owner of a name should be allowed to decide how to pronounce it. Were that not so half the nobs in Britain would be in some trouble - Featherstonehough, Cholmondeley - and many Asian names would be unpronounceable without detailed instruction from the holder.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:25 am 

It's a German name so should be pronounced 'Vineshtine'.

The fact that he arranged the money for so many great films is the key to his power - all the movie makers wanted him on side so would do anything not to upset him and therefore an actors career could be destroyed at a stroke on his say so and nobody would dare ask why, or say why.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:40 am 

Local writer had a nice line I read today. When he talks about your breasts or backside, try responding with,
"I could comment on your genitalia but I was never much good at small talk."
Might deflate his arrogance - at least for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:06 am 

Just found this - seems Seth McFarlane has ben using his show, Family Guy, to warn of sex predators in Hollywood since 2005 and even referenced female stars having to no longer pretend to like Weinstein, as he was presenting awards.

http://anonymous-news.com/videos-3-time ... predators/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:50 pm 

Shame about Kevin Spacey, good actor who appeared in some good films. The 'Really Nice People Brigade' are determined to wipe his history from the face of the earth.
Will it be the same for poor old Harvey, dirty old sod but he's been involved in some great films and it will be a shame to recyle his film stock in an attempt to pretend he never existed.
I'm not much of a history buff but I would bet that more than a few painters and sculpters had some kind of 'encounter' with their models? Perhaps we should burn down the galleries and smash up some more statues. Like violent video games, a walk round the Louvre could act like catnip on the emotionally unstable.
One good thing to come out of all this is that a bonfire of Steven Seagal's awful films would attract a wider audience than he ever could.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:36 pm 

Well said OW. As I said before, how long before we have to renegotiate Waterloo and Trafalgar to arrange our post-event surrenders?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 am 

olderandwiser wrote:
....good actor who appeared in some good films.

Perhaps, but neither make him a good man.