Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:42 pm 

I just listened to an interview with a gun shop owner in America who said a couple of interesting things about making gun ownership illegal. First, that people who care about the law don't break it, while those who break the law don't care about it. He argued, however rightly, that those who go through the quite arduous process of qualifying for a gun (it can take over a year) are the lawful ones who are unlikely to commit a crime. He then said (again questionable) that over a period (which I didn't get) no crime had been committed with a legally held gun, only with illegal ones.

But he went on to say that an automatic machine gun would cost around $25,000, so if they were suddenly made illegal what would happen to them? Handed in? Most unlikely. So they'd be sold on to anyone who wanted to buy them - the criminal market. Keeping them legal would ensure that the vast majority would remain in safe hands. After Hungerford I recall that severe restrictions were placed on gun licences with thousands of owners losing them, but only a tiny fraction of the guns they legitimately held until the law changed were accounted for. So the majority went to criminals.

I'm really confused about this and conscious that the above looks like excuses, but whatever they might try to do the restrict gun ownership they have to go from where they are, and that's with hundreds of thousands of guns existing. A change in the law won't change that and at least as it stands most of them are safely held.

He did add that only a very rich person could buy the sort of weapons used to such devastating effect in Las Vegas, but it turns out that the killer was a multi-millionaire. So what defence could there be against someone like him, whatever the law says.

Post subject: Re: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:30 pm 

I am unable to understand why anyone should do this. I spent a lot of time around guns of all types and enjoyed using most of them; I admire the engineering and the development of various types over the years and got a great deal of pleasure testing my ability to hit distant targets (paper, not human, bird, or animal). What pleasure anyone can get from shooting iñto a crowded of people I cannot imagine.
As for the guns he used, the cost of an assault rifle in the USA is more like $2000, not full auto but not too hard, or expensive, to convert. The $25k figure would be for something like a Vickers macine gun (belt fed, 600 rounds a minute) or the Browning equivalent.
My main feat now is that this is being reported as 'the worst in USA history' and the Americans like nothing better than breaking records.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:54 pm 

One other thing comes to mind- our left leaning media, having given wall to wall coverage of last week's Corbyn love fest, appear to be using this event to sideline this week's Tory conference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:34 am 

greg wrote:
I am unable to understand why anyone should do this.

There is much speculation about that but this one seems likely to be beyond understanding. The indications are that this rich man planned his attack over a period, stashing his weapons and even adapting 12 of them to be fast loading. Interesting that his father was a bank robber with suicidal tendencies and there is a strong genetic element in many such psychological conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:23 pm 

The police are trying to find out whatever possessed the shooter to commit the crime? It won't be because he had a bad night on the one armed bandits, he wouldn't have smuggled 23 guns and shed loads of ammo into his hotel room just in case. It was a planned out operation conducted by a mad man.
Why look any further? Perhaps making the NRA a terrorist organization would help stop the stupid rhetoric they spout in order to sell even more guns.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:12 am 

Now they say he had over 22 kg of explosives in his car and 1600 rounds of ammo.
This was planned to be a bang-up event.
And how many weapons in the house, on top of the selection in the room?

I want to know how he got them through the lobby and up the lift. Assumedly, not in long brown-paper parcels. Or maybe they think such things are normal in the land of the free.
(Over 320 mass shootings so far this year, by one report. Or was that last year? I'm ready for a drink.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:12 am 

Quote:
Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock had visited the Middle East during a series of cruises, police have revealed.

Investigators remain stumped as to Paddock’s motives but said he visited the contentious region on a cruise.

He also took at least 11 other cruises to other destinations over the last several years, the AP reported.

The region, where Isis and other jihadi groups have a presence in some areas, may be of interest to security services because of speculation Paddock became radicalised.

Extremist group Isis have repeatedly claimed responsibility for the shooting, which killed 58 people and wounded hundreds more.

This could explain everything then, he wasn't bonkers after all?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:00 am 

He needed some practice, obviously. The latest report said he discharged 200 rounds into the corridor and wounded an unarmed security officer in the leg.