Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:43 pm 

How many times are we to hear the words that have been covering up failure for decades? "We are really very sorry but we will learn from this".
I'm sure we could all fill a page of all the tragedies that have been 'brushed off' in this way. (except for politicians who don't even apologise.)
Kids who have 'slipped through the crack' despite hundreds of broken bones and eating out of dustbins, men and women who are eventualy murdered after being ignored by the thick or lazy coppers who are paid to defend them, the criminaly insane who have been released back into the community and on and on the endless list ever grows.
Is it about time, whether the cause be by ignorance, malice or good old fashioned stupidity that people are held account for their actions? As for the crooks and abusers who die before they can receive punishment, dig 'em back up and burn their bones on a public bonfire, it might not give their victims justice but it might make 'em feel better?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:15 pm 

Oddly enough, I read in the rag today of the illiterate gypsy who was accused of rape and murder, interrogated non-stop for two days without access to a solicitor and persuaded to sign a confession. He was innocent of course, now being proved through DNA with another many on trial after our gypsy has spent 6 years inside. So what about the corrupt coppers who fixed him up? Will they be prosecuted and given 6 years for perverting the course of justice? Not a chance. They'll get a disciplinary admonishment if anything at all and probably retire on full pensions.

You're right OW, this sort of thing happens all the time and nobody is called to account. What about the man who ordered the Grenfell cladding changed to save cash? Any bets on a manslaughter charge? After "the innocent have nothing to fear" the most terrifying phrase in the official handbook must be "lessons must be learned".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:54 pm 

It's clubs, isn't it? You can escape justice if you're in a good club. There's the political club where you can get rumbled for fraudulently claiming £50,000 in expenses, claim you were following the rules and have to pay back £2,000, political career intact. The police club is a good'n, covering most of them, and since they are allowed to investigate themselves almost all complaints are dismissed. The military club is not so good, only really covers the orficers while anyone from sergeant down gets screwed even if the orficer is responsible. Then there's the filthy rich club where you can screw a whole pension fund and get away with it, or fiddle your taxes for years and do a pathetic deal with HMRC to pay back a pittance, knighthood intact. The ethnic club is quite good but inferior to the police club where only about 1% of racism complaints are upheld, and then you need video evidence. Unfortunately there is no recognised club for women or children who can be beaten and slaughtered with impunity, and white middle class men outside of the recognised clubs are all guilty by definition.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:42 pm 

Only posted this a day ago, blinking 'eck I turned the telly on this morning and there was a perfect example of 'lesson learning'.
Next time I decide to commit mass murder I hope Tony Blair's legal team are still available.
P.S. Sorry about the expletive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:30 pm 

Surely OW, the lesson there was that Prime Ministers should be straight with the people and not be lying bar stewards. Well, I'm sure that lesson will be learned and future PMs will be honest and truthful. Not only that, every day will be the first day of Spring, Jesus will return on Wednesday and my arthritis will clear up in no time if I keep drinking heavily.

On the other hand...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:01 am 

olderandwiser wrote:
.... after being ignored by the thick or lazy coppers who are paid to defend them....

Doesn't always work out like that.
On Friday night, an "X-rated" party of swingers (sic) was held in Melbourne when one bloke turned up in costume with a toy pistol. he declared it to security at the door but, later in the evening, someone spotted it and called the coppers. The 'SWAT' team turned up in full regalia and, having been advised by security that it had been confirmed a toy, entered the venue, called for him to drop it. He continued to point it at them. (Might have been on some funny chemicals?) A copper shot him in the chest. Somehow, a nubile young female was also hit before being evacuated in her suspender belt and 'costume'.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 2da320790b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:58 am 

You're link is subscription only GG, but on the account you give I have some sympathy with the police. How could they know that the man they encountered was the man with the toy gun rather than the other man with a real gun who hadn't declared it at the door. You say he continued to point it at them after they called on him to drop it, but had it been the real gunman their lives would have been at great risk. Of course, there was no real gunman, but the police couldn't have known that. Added to that, anyone who points a toy gun at policeman and gets shot is probably deserving of a Darwin Award for removing his stupidity genes from the gene pool.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:05 am 

Puts a whole new meaning to the phrase 'police intelligence' though dunnit?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:05 am 

Does it though OW? Just imagine yourself on that SWAT squad. You're facing a man with a gun, probably drunk or on drugs and pointing the gun at your head. The 'security man at the door' (a bouncer?) said he'd looked at the gun and identified it as a toy. Do you trust the thug on the door? Was it really a toy? Is it the same man and the same gun? You have the time it takes for the trigger to be squeezed to make your decision and you've already wasted precious seconds ordering the man to put the gun down. He ignored you. If you get it wrong you're dead. What do you do?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:22 pm 

So every copper can slaughter anyone who 'looks' guilty with the slightest excuse?
I felt that my life was in danger.
He was going for his gun.
I thought he as going for his gun.
Wajja mean you can't find a gun.
So I suppose it's MY fault is it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:35 pm 

That's a bit of a stretch OW. The Aussie guy wasn't going for his gun, he was pointing it straight at the copper (according to GG's account). Perhaps it would be better always to give the benefit of the doubt, but then we'd have to pile into police recruitment to replace the ones who are not stupid enough to stay in the job. And the shot dead ones of course.

I reckon when the policeman says "drop the gun" you're already the luckiest man alive not having been shot out of hand, but if you've survived that far just drop the bleedin' gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:30 am 

I was in the Army and what was drummed into us from day one, and subsequently drummed into everyone we trained or oversaw, was that you ONLY ever point a gun of any type at someone you mean to harm.. 'Toy' and replica firearms can be very realistic, in the UK they should have a bright orange tip to the barrel because of this but it is often considered 'cool' to paint this black. Such guns are very realistic and some will be indistinguishable from the real thing at close range in broad daylight, not worth taking a chance and if you are going to shoot the guy holding the gun you aim for the largest body mass - the centre of the chest, you can miss your point of aim by 6" in any direction and still get a result, shooting the gun out of his hand or shooting him in the arm or leg is for the movies..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:34 pm 

I've often wondered about the ignorant cry that the armed assailant should be shot to wound, or tazered. Surely when he's threatening you with a gun you need to stop him. The last thing you want to do is piss him off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 pm 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
....the armed assailant should be shot to wound, or tazered.

If circumstances require it, by all means fire. I have long believed that a military-calibre round in the pelvis will ensure an immediate loss of interest in anything else.
What amazes me is the 5 -7 rounds (each?) just to make sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:04 am 

I'm with you all the way Grizz. I've often said that a good wounding beats a coup de gras every time on the grounds that death is too good for some, besides, a bit of suffering builds character. Of course there is always the chance of the baddies suing the authorities afterwards.
It took our fully trained marksmen 30 rounds to bring down 2 men armed with knives and the only wonder is that only one bystander was wounded from the hail of bullets.
I predict that over the next few years more people will be shot to death by armed police than the number killed by terrorism.