Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: The Funeral
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:35 pm 

I know I'm not supposed to say it, but is a near state funeral attended by thousands of policemen from all over the country really appropriate for PC Keith Palmer? Over 4,000 policemen have died in the line of duty since they were first set up in 1790 with a few in recent years - shot, stabbed or run down by vehicles. So why this one? Now he's a 'hero' to be awarded a posthumous medal for bravery. Again, I wouldn't wish to criticise this poor man who was doing his duty, but how is he a hero? Who did he save? What did he do apart from getting stabbed, apparently unable to defend himself? And who was keeping the peace on the streets while these thousands of coppers were lining the funeral route? Have we got that many to spare?

In many walks of life it seems that gross over-reaction and extreme virtue signalling are the order of the day.

Post subject: Re: The Funeral
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:20 pm 

Quote:
extreme virtue signalling are the order of the day.

Dyslexia rules k.o. 'eh CC.
I agree with you, a singalong of 'for he's a jolly good fellow' would have done the trick for half the price.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:07 pm 

Couldn't agree more, THIS is a hero:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Beharry

Scroll down to 'actions in Iraq' and to the London Gazette citation for details of what heroism is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 pm 

Quite so. I read in the paper this morning: "Last respects for the policeman who died defending Parliament". I feel desperately sorry for this man, murdered while doing his job, and for his poor family, but let's face it, he wasn't really defending anything. He was just standing there completing his shift, unarmed and vulnerable. Why was he even there?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
....he wasn't really defending anything. He was just standing there completing his shift, unarmed and vulnerable. Why was he even there?

To stop yahoos like the killer from getting inside to have a go at our protected species: parliamentarians.
I have long objected to the zealous vetting one must undergo to get inside the chambers. If you wanted to kill the PM/Premier/President, there are numerous locations where you could do it with less effort. Hence the major rallies such as Remembrance Day in the open air represent a 'hot' target, like it or not.

The issue is only if you wanted to get away with it. Increasingly, that's not a parameter the offenders value.