Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Speeding fines
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:11 am 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... meras.html

Not sure what to think of this. It seems the number of fines has increased because the new digital cameras are more efficient and work 24 hours a day, which means they are now catching speeders who they missed before. Isn't that a good thing? But it's quite easy to avoid these fines - just don't speed, and if people who do are subsidising councils and thus keeping the rates down I'm very grateful to all these voluntary contributors to public finance.

Post subject: Re: Speeding fines
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:19 am 

As much as they say they are not meant to be revenue raisers, when you see the budget papers allowing for so many millions in fines, you wonder.
Then they set them up on the most pointless locations or at the bottom of a long downhill run on a divided road.

Then, the operators are told they can't hide. Funny how they so often need to find some shade behind a sign or tree, side lane or parked lorry.

Our lot's latest thing is point-to-point cameras that calculate your average over a distance.
Idiots: all you have to do is stop off for a piddle, refuel or a feed and it's pointless.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:56 am 

Too true, GG, but my own reaction to speed cameras might suggest that they do reduce speeds. I watch my speed very carefully, not to drive safely, but to avoid getting a speeding fine and I've never had one. There is one stretch near here that's very difficult with speed changes every few hundred yards so that I spend more of the journey watching the speedo than watching the road and usually settle for the slowest speed for the whole road. On that particular road there is an 'end of speed limit' sign after a 40mph stretch set just before some tight bends on a narrow section where even 40mph would be suicidal. But it does make you concentrate wonderfully.

Can I also mention our village where we campaigned for years to get 30mph, finally giving a very hard time to the Highways official at a public meeting. He eventually agreed to 40mph which, again, is impossible to achieve through the centre without severe risk. The signs went up with 'end of speed limit' signs at the entrances to all the minor roads off that section, roads that don't allow 20 let alone the 60 national limit for such roads. About 4 months later they agreed to 30mph, but instead of just replacing the 40 signs on the poles they set the 30 stretch within the 40, erecting new poles 20 yards inside the existing 40 signs. It must have cost thousands.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:24 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
Too true, GG, but my own reaction to speed cameras might suggest that they do reduce speeds.

The pity is that they do, far more often than they need to. Speed is not the issue: it's inappropriate speed.
The set figure is too much of a blunt instrument. They conclude that an elderly (much more than me) driver in a Hillman or Morris should drive at the same speed as a trained/skilled driver in a GT3 or Caterham.
Quote:
It must have cost thousands.

Probably not much as much as a single decent(?) prang in a modern sedan.