Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Viktoras Bruzas
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:06 am 

This is the man that has been charged with the dreadful murder of the couple in Surrey. I have no doubt that he did it. Why? Because his face and the awful details have been blazoned across the media. When he comes to trial, the jury, like me, will have read the same press. How is it therefore possible for him to receive a fair trial?

It reminds me of the murder of Joanna Yeates and the media induced certainty that Christopher Jefferies did it.

Post subject: Re: Viktoras Bruzas
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:36 am 

Not much I can add, but I agree. How could they find an unbiased jury?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:05 pm 

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself". Franklin D. Roosevelt. His inaugural address. It was used this afternoon when discussing whether we are induced into a state of fear that the world is going to hell in a hand basket by politicians and the media.
With regard to the media the only answer is gagging them and then the freedom of speech argument would be thrown at us.
It's not that more people are murdered or more people commit crimes it is that information is more readily available. It's somewhat like crime figures that those in charge keep telling us are going down. Are they actually going down or not being reported. They cannot get into police crime figures because they would then be available to all of us. No they are just not reported because people don't want to be targeted by criminals who are never punished. Lose/Lose?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:10 pm 

I'm not sure of my facts here Crom, but something has changed. It may be that police now hold suspects while they investigate and that information gets out to the Press who are free to report it. When a suspect is charged the rules change - the press no longer publish details.

In the current case Bruzas's photo and the fact that he was the subject of a mass search and that police were not seeking anyone else, was all over the papers. Since he was charged they have stopped naming him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:47 am 

It's a difficult one. If the police are seeking a suspect it would make sense to publicise the name, description and image to solicit help from the public. We also have paedophilia cases where publicising the name of the suspect alerts other women who have been assaulted, thus building the case. If the suspect is possibly dangerous people should be alerted so they can recognise him and be cautious. I get notifications of criminal gangs doing door-to-door cons so that I can warn my village though the email service.

Perhaps the risk of a prejudicial trial is reduced by the long time it usually takes to get the case before the courts. The Christopher Jeffries case shows how the activities of the press should be restricted, but perhaps not to the point of withholding the name of the subject.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:55 am 

I wonder if there were complaints about the publicity given to alleged criminals back in the day when an artists impression would be printed on posters stating 'WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE', and some huge, at least in those days, amount of money for the capture or the bringing in of the body.
We have to trust in the people to make the right judgement from the evidence before them. First of all we must deprive those called of their mobiles, iPods or any other technological impedimenta that the modern young person (50 down) seems unable to live without.
May I broaden this a little. There is an American crime series that I have enjoyed for years and still do the repeats. 'Law and Order' and I am talking about the original series not the spin offs. I do not cringe from the death sentence. I feel that if 12 good people have found someone guilty of a crime that warrants the death penalty then so be it. Yes there is a possibility of a miscarriage of justice but I am sure there are miscarriages of justice in all walks of life. The programme yesterday dealt with the death of a prisoner and it appeared that one of the prison guards had done the deed. He was a guard who had given long and distinguished service and the prisoner a member of the Aryan Brotherhood. (Look it up). The guard seems to have offended the prisoner in some way and it all turned on the fact that through their contacts, the Brotherhood had been able to get the guard's son arrested for drug offences. Not only that they had approached the guard's 11 year old daughter and whispered in her ear. The leader of the AB in the prison, a gentleman convicted of 4 murders and a kidnapping and a just a plain ordinary evil git, was orchestrating it all to try and get the guard into the prison population to kill him. Nothing could be done to him and he even had the judge threatened and when accused of it asked "what are you going to do to me"?.
To cut a long story short, the jury could not reach a verdict and the case was thrown out.
Within days the guard's wife was kidnapped.
My point should not the leader of the AB be put down instead of allowing him licence to rule and run the prison. As he said "what are you going to do to me".
By the way they are true stories.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:29 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
How could they find an unbiased jury?

No need to. British law allows a judge to sit alone as determiner of guilt on the evidence.