Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:21 am 

Two quotes from you, Hooky, in consecutive posts.

To Crom:
Quote:
"Why must you insult every time you post?2

And to me:
Quote:
"Whatever deal Cameron is able to achieve, we are better off inside the EU, seeking to improve it, than outside whingeing and dreaming of former glories."

Can you not acknowledge that, far from whingeing and dreaming of the past, I am advocating a what I believe to be a better route to a prosperous future as an independent nation than being submerged in an undemocratic, bureaucratic and financially incompetent EU?

And the more important quote:
Quote:
"I've had some very very bad news about Jo tonight and I think I'll back off for a while, perhaps for good. Cheers all of you."

Very sad news and my thoughts are with you. Please don't leave us and return as soon as you can.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:27 am 

Sorry to hear your bad news Hooky. Hope things turn out well.

SI, yes confused is the order of the day. I am totally confused, but the idea that whoever is in power or a better word is government, does not have to think of the ones that never put them there is abhorrent to me. Once elected a government must represent all the people and this day with so few even voting some way must be found to represent more people.
At the moment I think our parliament is running scared of what will happen after the next election. If as everybody is predicting the SNP hold the balance of power, and once they hold that balance, it will not easily be removed, we south of the border are in for a very rough time. I do not think the SNP will bend like the LibDems, and the conservatives will go for votes for England and then a pull out of Europe. Those with wealth and HSBC accountants in Swiss banks will love it.
You talk of committees that sort through the legislation and investigate abuses etc. I have seen this Margaret Hodge person many times on the TV telling us the abuses this committee or that committe have found but can't honestly say that anything has ever been done about them. Is that the Democracy at work in this country.
You must watch PMQ's? Do you think that baying and catcalling and indiscipline is government and democracy at it's best?
CC, you wrote:
Quote:
Nation states are usually born in conflict, then moulded over centuries and generations into a common identity, common language and common ideals.
I presume you would fit the UK amongst those nations. Forgive me for pointing it out but it didn't seem to work.
Perhaps the EU has it to rights when they have their commissioners and they just do what they want to do for the collective nations. I do hope not.

Contrary to popular belief I do not insult I prod in the hope of getting a response. By all means prod away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:45 am 

Quote:
Nation states are usually born in conflict, then moulded over centuries and generations into a common identity, common language and common ideals.

Common identity,... common ideals are unlikely when you have a massive influx of a group who reject your ideals ans who have a unique, established identity they are unwilling and unlikely to yield.
Thus it is when a preponderance of Moslems impose their culture on the nation. This didn't happen here when the Germans, Italians, Balts, Vietnamese or South Africans arrived. Mind you, the Poms did impose their 'football' on us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:43 am 

The Poms also imposed cricket and rugby on you and you have never seemed concerned about either -- I suppose two out of three is not a bad colonial legacy. The secret is obviously to teach the colonials something at which even they can excel!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:49 am 

Grizzled Grizzler wrote:
Quote:
Common identity,... common ideals are unlikely when you have a massive influx of a group who reject your ideals ans who have a unique, established identity they are unwilling and unlikely to yield.

The influx of 2.8 million Muslims into the UK over a quite short space of time is certainly a problem, with the dotty policy of 'multi-culturalism' acting against and attempt at assimilation, but within an overall population of 64 million it should be manageable over time. That is a far cry from the EU attempt to force 27 nations into a single state within a generation, with each nation's people determined to defend their own way of life and independence.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:39 am 

greg wrote:
The secret is obviously to teach the colonials something at which even they can excel!

I've just worked out the link between that and the thread title.
Were you referring to the 'prisoners' here participating in our own democracy?
We ARE one of only four nations where participating in the ballot is a legal obligation. Even then we still don't get a 100% attendance.
Draw your own conclusion.