Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Rolf Harris
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:28 pm 

More street wise and cannier? I do not think so, unless of course you talk of the young brits doing their bit tho show the rest of the world how street wise and cannier they are in Magaluf on a night out. Street wise when there are more single mums than ever before. No I don't think so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:15 am 

Senex Iracundus wrote:
When prisoners are released under licence, they are monitored to prevent the sort of thing you fear....

Oh, if only I/we could depend on that.
As with all modern governments, ours and yours are seeking to divest themselves of as many 'human resources' as they can and, thus, the remaining staff must work to nominated priorities.
Monitored offenders may, on release, have GPS wrist bands or ankle fittings which report if they are more than a certain distance from a base station. Others are subject to restrictions as to their movements and associations but, like other parole restrictions and apprehended violence orders, they are breached in their thousands each year. How often do we hear of offences while on parole or bail?

I know our family protection officers - social workers - classify reports on three levels: imminent and continuing danger, high risk, and 'other'. Thus a child who reports being raped by a family friend will get immediate attention. The child who arrives dirty and hungry at school with unexplained bruises is given a medium rating while the child who is reported by a teacher as having recently undergone sudden withdrawal, unexplained mood swings and exposes himself in the toilets rates last. At present, the latter two classes are unlikely to get a visit, such are the effects of budget cuts, proclaimed as an "efficiency bonus", rather than savage cutbacks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:38 pm 

......which only gives us the answer that these people must be removed from society. But society doesn't like that because it costs a little. As a lady, a lady with a disabilty said on the tele the other day, we always seem to be able to find money for wars well why not for our ordinary citizens and their protection from the scrotes of the world. It's either that or we start lining them up for the noose. For most of them the noose is the answer, but their again what would our pedophile loving judges and law makers make of hanging for their mates.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:46 pm 

For goodness sake Crom, which way do you really hang? Now you want to string up poor old buggers that fancied boys, or touched girls tits. You sound like Adolf (or was it Jo?) We were once proud in this Country of our tolerance and understanding. It sounds to me like the Inquisition is taking hold.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:09 pm 

Well, call me an old reactionary but when people like Harris use their celebrity status to finger eight year old girls inside their knickers my tolerance runs very thin indeed. And to dismiss it as fancying boys and touching girls tits is positively bizarre. If it had been my daughter I'd have cheerfully castrated the bastard.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:22 pm 

OK. You're an old reactionary.

People of my generation, of which I thought you belonged, could handle this utter bollux.

You know those queue barriers that make you stand in zed formation? They'll have to build them in front of the Law Courts soon to accommodate the compensation claimants for sexual abuse.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:00 pm 

And good luck to them, I don't begrudge them a penny of it. Listening to you, Hooky, I begin to get some small understanding of the attitudes of the time that allow such child sexual abuse to happen with little girls expected to "handle it". As I said, and with a blunt knife!

I was obviously never of your generation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:27 pm 

Maybe you weren't CC.

In the early eighties there was a field where my children roamed at will. Sally came back one day with a story that she had met a man down there and from her description it was obvious he had got his old man out.

I rang the police.

Two officers, one male, one female, came round and I insisted on being there as they interviewed Sally. My reason was that I didn't want her to go through anything traumatic. They asked her all sorts of personal questions - where did he touch her, was his 'thing' hard or soft, and I simply made it all light hearted for her. I joked, I told her not to worry, that there were sad people about, that she was safe with us.

A few days later the officers came back to say they had detained a suspect. They also congratulated me for my help. I said I wouldn't be bringing any charges.

Sally is now a very balanced 37. If you asked her she would say that was a defining moment of her life.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:56 pm 

And the man against whom you brought no charges was presumably free (without a stain on his character) to carry on traumatising young girls with less understanding fathers than you. And possibly he progressed to more invasive forms of abuse as the novelty of exposing himself wore off.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:58 pm 

greg wrote:
And the man against whom you brought no charges was presumably free (without a stain on his character) to carry on traumatising young girls with less understanding fathers than you. And possibly he progressed to more invasive forms of abuse as the novelty of exposing himself wore off.

What a stupid post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:07 am 

Why is that stupid?

The attitude that refuses to bring perverts to account and allows them to continue with their perversions is stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:21 am 

Hook Dangler wrote:
....she would say that was a defining moment of her life.

We should ask, "Defining what?" Her first encounter with a female constable? A chance to play with their handcuffs? Or defining "dirty old man" or perhaps "male member"?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:55 am 

greg wrote:
Why is that stupid?

The attitude that refuses to bring perverts to account and allows them to continue with their perversions is stupid.

Absolutely right, Greg. The turning of blind eyes and refusal by others to get involved in the early stages of Savile's predations led to thousands of victims and a progression from touching to penetrative sex with very young children. Not taking action against a known paedophile is not just stupid, it's tantamount to being an accessory to any attacks that follow, or is the welfare of other people's children less important than our own?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:06 am 

Hook Dangler wrote:
A few days later the officers came back to say they had detained a suspect. They also congratulated me for my help. I said I wouldn't be bringing any charges.

Was there really a time when the decision to bring charges against a pederast assaulting children in a field was subject to whether or not the father of a victim would bring charges? This was a criminal offence against a minor, not a civil matter, and your friendly policemen were guilty of gross negligence.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:01 pm 

I've come down from the ceiling and my rage has subsided a little and in retrospect my description of Greg's post as stupid was a bit OTT. So I apologise for that.

But CC's link between the protection of my daughter and the activities of Savile is outrageous. To suggest I'm an accessory to sexual attacks on children......................... I'm lost for words.

My actions were entirely in the interests of my daughter. I would do the same thing a thousand times. Neither of you paused in your rush to condemn to enquire more about the circumstances. You were just too full of your self righteous claptrap to consider this was a father protecting his five year old daughter. This was a mentally retarded young man who had flashed many times before and who, in the Sergeant's view, was no threat to anyone. Above all I wanted to save Sally from the trauma of interviews, of 'proceedings', of 'hearings'. In my view they could have inflicted far more damage than a sad young man with his knob out.