Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: The function of Police
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:56 pm 

When I joined the service in 1951 one of the first things we were taught was 'The functions of Police'
and these were

1. Maintenance of the Queen's Peace

2. Prevention of crime

3. Detection of crime

in that order.

I find it somewhat odd, nay even distressing, to see that the service is now prioritising its response to situations to the extent that it will not/might not respond to incidents of burglary and this attitude is being espoused by very senior officers.

Although it will never happen I would like to see some of the retied coppers of the old school brought back to kick a few arses and remind the newbies what the job is really all about

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:29 pm 

Not part of my criticism of Americas gun laws, not so much about the shooting of 26 who died while attending church and not even the twisted logic that the ensuing chase by a heavily armed civilian posse actually saved more lives. In other words just a good day out for the lobbyist's and a pretty shit one for the victims.
Taking the nutters out of the equation it must be quite reassuring that if you feel threatened in any way you can just shoot the aggressor and get on with your day.
Here in the UK we have either bred or imported a society that seems to do whatever they want knowing that they will get away with it 9/10 times.
How can we protect good people from these animals?
Firemen or ambulance crews on a call, moped riders, kids at school mobile phone users or just walking home from the pub has become a hazzard on some of our streets. It must be even worse for women walking home after dark. If we can't protect ourselves who will? CCTV? Police can't be everywhere but nowaday they don't seem to be anywhere!
Americans say "the only thing to stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun." In that case. "Pass the pistol mum, I'm popping out for a bit."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:50 pm 

I've lived in the same house since 1984 - from about 86 - 90 we regularly saw a policeman, but only because he lived a couple of doors away; apart from that we have not seen a single copper.

Our local council have made the streets safer by turning off all the street lights between midnight and 06:00 hrs their reasoning is, presumably, that the darkness will make it impossible for the bad guys to see their potential victims. They have also closed the police station, for re-development as expensive flats, and given the coppers an office in the council HQ.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:13 pm 

We've just had a new PCSO appointed with responsibility for Ulverston, Coniston and Hawkshead. You'll know how big that area is Greg. Policemen? None of those, they're all toting guns round the big cities or joy riding in helicopters.

(I made another typo there with the 'i' next to the 'u' on the keyboard, so 'toting guns' came out as 'toting gins'. I'd probably have been close to right if I'd left it in.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:28 pm 

The locals are complaining via online media of cars being defected for empty windscreen washer bottles, smearing wiper blades, or a rip in the seat upholstery. Booking the inspection is $24 and the roadworthiness check is $161. A nice little money-earner for the government but does nothing for the public's respect for the police.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:40 am 

The Japanese police are an interesting lot. They spend most of their time in tiny posts, doing paperwork until something provokes them at which point, masses of them will spring into action and converge on some miscreant. Many police ride "granny bikes" or a 125 cc step-though scooter but many have a yard-long plastic pipe along the front forks to carry a riot control staff. They are issued with WW2 revolver and cuffs. They wear no body armour whereas the ATM service teams do. Still, you'd rather have them on your side than against you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 am 

There is such a thing as attorney/client privilege, protected under law.
So how did the police get this so wrong?
A defence solicitor who worked for a certain group during the height of gangland killings turned police informer and led to the conviction of hundreds of offenders.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 50k6n.html

Now all bets are off and a multi-million dollar inquiry will explore how things came unstuck. The head of the investigation at the time is now state commissioner and they're calling for his sacking.
Just what do they learn at prosecutions branch?