Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Pain or Pleasure
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:11 pm 

Many years ago a punishment which could have been handed down by the courts was birching. The cat ’o’ nine tails was another deterrent. I know the response from at least one who suffered such punishment was the belief that the cat would not deter crime. However I don’t know of anyone who suffered that punishment more than once.

I began to wonder if the cat was given as a result of adultery would adulterous liaisons diminish. Would the thought of the pleasure override the probability of receiving the pain. How many would take the chance?

Post subject: Re: Pain or Pleasure
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:21 pm 

I'm sure the birch and the cat would have a very salutary effect on wrong-doers. So would the rack, the wheel, the thumb-screw, the lead boot and a host of other once favoured punishments. All a bit too Islamic for my taste.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:02 pm 

No islamic tradition moves more in the area of beheading or removing limbs, followed by stoning to death then of course there is "honour" killing.
I know there are not many that can put up with the Daily Mail and indeed we only take it at the weekend (which is about as much as we can take) but there many mentions today of what the Islamic Jihadists are trying to do with our schools. Not that it really matters because they will be running the country by the middle of the century by pure demographics. To add pain you have the Lib Dems telling us that we should be letting in gran and grandad as well. Yes we had the report that we have got the figures wrong on immigration again but still no one can tell us how many illegals are still residing in this country and I doubt very much they can tell us how many muslims now reside here.
We love our traditions of justice and law but I'm afraid you can kiss it all goodbye through pure disinterest. That's in sex as well as politics.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:47 am 

cromwell man wrote:
I'm afraid you can kiss it all goodbye through pure disinterest. That's in sex as well as politics.

For you, or in general?
The latter would have a profound effect on our music and advertising industry.