Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: John Downey
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:30 am 

Hook Dangler wrote:
Maybe things have changed in your part of the world GG, but here, thank goodness, you're still innocent until proved guilty.

Same here and nothing I wrote addressed anything to the contrary.
As ever, the courts deal with law, not justice. There is a principle that it is better for ten guilty men go free than one innocent man be imprisoned. That is embraced in the "beyond reasonable doubt" test but allows hosts of offenders to go without penalty, time and time again where circumstances or a smart lawyer can inculcate doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:53 am 

Grizzled Grizzler wrote:
As ever, the courts deal with law, not justice.

If that were the case we wouldn't need judges or juries. Whether or not the law has been broken could be decided by clerks in reference to documents, but where would that leave the genuine mercy killing or the violent acts of the mentally disturbed?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:05 pm 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
Grizzled Grizzler wrote:
As ever, the courts deal with law, not justice.

If that were the case we wouldn't need judges or juries. Whether or not the law has been broken could be decided by clerks in reference to documents, but where would that leave the genuine mercy killing or the violent acts of the mentally disturbed?

We have had an outbreak of the "mentally disturbed" in our courts recently. The two that slaughtered Lee Rigby in the streets of London and the woman (sic) Joanna Denehy, all putting on a performance in the courts. Go on tell me that these people could be rehabilitated. That somehow in 10 or so years they will stroll out of prison and be law abiding citizens of our country. Why should we bother.
You want to save money save it by just planting them.
Hain has just pronounced that our soldiers in N. Ireland should also get a get out of jail card. Why? If they are guilty of a crime then they should be tried for it just like all those who have been given a get out of jail card. How is this sort of shenanigans serving justice. How can we in all honesty turn round and accuse the Russians of wrong doing when we behave like this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:52 pm 

I agree Crom - if the PIRA murderers are to be given a get out of jail card then so should thinder the squaddies, but if the squaddies are to be put on trial then there should be no let off for the PIRA men.

It should be remembered that the PIRA men were not operating under the same level of stress as the squaddies, they had pre - planned their operations and had the option of aborting at any time if they felt threatened - neither option was available to the squaddies in most cases as they had to react to situations, often on a moment's notice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:53 pm 

Is the latest arrest in connection with the "disappeared" in NI a knee jerk touch of tokenism by the government. In my opinion it just stinks. Yes he should be arrested and tried the same as all the rest, but it won't happen and I would take a bet that this case disappears just like the people did.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:01 pm 

Now we have Gerry Adams the so called saviour of Ireland being questioned quite extensively. I will admit from the outset I do not like this person, in fact I would go as far as to say that if both he and his right arm McGuiness, were on fire I would not even p... on them.
Before we go any further let's put in the obligatory allegedly to anything I may say in case they use some of their alleged blood money to sue me or worse.
Is he guilty? Sure as the proverbial he is. Want to know how to tell? Those Irish arseholes in the US of A are complaining that it is all a fit up for the elections. I say Irish Americans but they wouldn't know there Dundalk from there Dublin or there Ennis from there Enniskillen. Americans are happy while the rest of the world with their help is having the hell bombed out of them with American exports as long as it remains over there. 9/11 was a bit of a shock but if you want to talk numbers it comes pretty low in the scale of life lost. Irag, Afghanistan, Syria, Vietnam in fact any conflict where the American arms industry can make a buck.
A tirade against our American cousins? Well i ain't got no cousins over there at least none that my Irish granny spoke about and as usual they have to poke their noses into Ireland because of votes, so how can they complain about anyone else doing the same thing if it is happening at all.