Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: John Downey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:13 am 

I find it extraordinary that photos of the man suspected of involvement in the Hyde Park bombing are plastered all over our Press. There may well be lots of questions about whether or not he should have been charged, but the fact is he wasn't, so the fact is he is innocent.

He is now a marked man.

Post subject: Re: John Downey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 am 

Hook Dangler wrote:
There may well be lots of questions about whether or not he should have been charged, but the fact is he wasn't, so the fact is he is innocent.

Spurious logic.
He was not charged because the evidence put before the DPP was insufficient to give a reasonable chance of securing a conviction, thus saving the courts - and taxpayers - the cost of a failed trial.
That's a long way short of "innocent" but that's the law.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:51 am 

Maybe things have changed in your part of the world GG, but here, thank goodness, you're still innocent until proved guilty.

Long may that remain true.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 am 

True, Hooky, but to the best of my knowledge Hitler was never convicted of anything. As I understand this one Downey was not tried because the Northern Ireland police gave him immunity from prosecution, possibly connected with the Peace Process. Somebody should be charged for that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:56 am 

Hook Dangler wrote:
Maybe things have changed in your part of the world GG, but here, thank goodness, you're still innocent until proved guilty.

Long may that remain true.

It would appear that DLT has to prove his innocence, rather than be granted innocence until proven otherwise,, before he can get off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 pm 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
True, Hooky, but to the best of my knowledge Hitler was never convicted of anything. As I understand this one Downey was not tried because the Northern Ireland police gave him immunity from prosecution, possibly connected with the Peace Process. Somebody should be charged for that.

"More than meets the eye". I don't think that this would be the first time that Mr Gerry Adams and his Adjutant have slipped under the wire. From what I have heard there have been 187 letters sent out to stop prosecution. I wonder why.
It appears that justice is getting six lace holes again in the cause of peace that hasn't happened and it shouldn't be called the search for peace but the fight against organised crime.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:36 pm 

I've just been listening to the news...

187 immunity letters were sent out to terrorist suspects.
None to Unionists - all to IRA suspects.
38 of those letters were sent out by this Coalition government.
Soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday are still being investigated with a view to prosecution.

You couldn't make it up!

Peter Robinson, First Minister of NI knew nothing about it and has threatened to resign unless there is a judicial enquiry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:54 pm 

I suspect that Adams and McG got letters.
Because of this justice has not been served and the peace is false. Still it is the way the Blairs work and it appears also Diddy Dave and his cohorts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:43 pm 

You're all beginning to sound like the Rev Paisley. And you don't have to live there.

Whatever you agree with or not, there was a deal done. Lots of suspected terrorists were given immunity, lots of weapons were given up, lots of scores were settled without violence, lots of humble pie was eaten.

The wounds are still open, the claimants are still queuing up, the rhetoric still resounds. But just remember this, while the conflict rumbles on, it is like a dying thunderstorm, gradually fading to the horizon. And the next generation? They're growing up without the mindless hate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:59 pm 

Wanna bet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 pm 

No I certainly don't want to bet Crom. I'll just do what I always do when I've backed an outsider and its still got a chance three out.

Pray.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:26 pm 

You know what the soul aim of the IRA was and is. It is also the soul aim of it's political, violent political branch is. That aim has not yet been achieved and anyway it isn't about Irish freedom from British, sorry English rule, it's about thuggery and mob territory. Myself I would give them their little bit of land and then close the door on any immigration from that place. Perhaps then we could ship back all the diddycoys that have been coming into our green and pleasant. If anyone wants me to sign up to a referendum taking us out of the EU all they have to do is tell me they will stop them coming over from Ireland and I will be happy to sign.
By the way when are we sending the Scots back if they get their independance? I think I'll shift down to Kernow before they get theirs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:23 pm 

Hook Dangler wrote:
You're all beginning to sound like the Rev Paisley. And you don't have to live there.

Whatever you agree with or not, there was a deal done. Lots of suspected terrorists were given immunity, lots of weapons were given up, lots of scores were settled without violence, lots of humble pie was eaten.

The wounds are still open, the claimants are still queuing up, the rhetoric still resounds. But just remember this, while the conflict rumbles on, it is like a dying thunderstorm, gradually fading to the horizon. And the next generation? They're growing up without the mindless hate.

Well, thank God it's all over. Now we can round up those members of the New IRA who sent parcel bombs to army recruitment centres last week, pay them for their services and co-opt them all into government for the benefit of the Peace Process.

No, hang on, those bombs didn't go off, so perhaps we'd better wait until they've blown a few squaddie arms and legs off before we welcome them with open arms and reward them with life immunities from prosecution.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:37 pm 

So what do you both suggest? A return to the days of the Black and Tans? A UN peacekeeping force? A de-militarised zone between North and South?

The Good Friday Agreement was a triumph for Tony Blair. It reflects great credit on him. But it was just sticking plaster over the wound. It can break at any minute and the crooks from both sides will start all over again. So it MUST be made to last a bit longer. Long enough for the generation now growing up to take over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 am 

Op Banner is over but the troubles are most certainly not over, they continue on an almost daily basis but are on a lesser scale and, most importantly, do not often get reported by the media.

What I find most appalling is that our politicians bend over backwards to placate the republicans and perversely do their utmost to penalise the security forces - letters of indemnity for Irish murders, seats in parliament for the PIRA leaders and interminable enquiries into every aspect of the actions of the security forces, e.g. the 'Bloody Sunday' enquiry which seems to have been convened simply to placate the republicans at any cost.

The Good Friday agreement was a political master stroke for Blair - if I recall correctly it was more or less imposed on him by the USA (where factions, not least the Kennedys, had been supporting and/or funding the PIRA since 1968). It is a typical example of the way British politicians deal with terrorists - tie the hands of the security forces with almost impossible rules of engagement, micro-manage the actions of commanders on the ground and then, when the politicians think they can score a few brownie points on the world stage, give the bad guys what they want - think back to Cyprus, Kenya, Rhodesia. You could probably add Iraq and Afghan to that list.

This is the Role of Honour for Op Banner - all security forces - it does not include casualties on the mainland.

http://operationbanner.com/roh/default. ... AsNumber=1