Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

 

 

 

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

 
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 9404
Location: Lake District, England
I've been watching Ripper Street, Crom, and rather enjoying it despite the grizzly bits. Isn't it nice to encounter whores, blaggers and London street scum who all speak so well, nicely turned phrases and not a 'lawks-a-mercy' to be heard. I don't know how accurate it is but they seem better educated than the little tykes we turn out today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 am
Posts: 5976
Location: Fleurieu, South Australia
Cumberland Cockney wrote:
.... they seem better educated than the little tykes we turn out today.

Educated? What an out-moded value. Now, so long as I can get high score in level ten of Phantom SlaughterMaster - no, don't try Googling that - most other things 'suck'.

_________________
Love people, use things - not the opposite.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 9404
Location: Lake District, England
There was a survey reported in the paper yesterday showing a high percentage of children who don't see any point in learning spelling or grammar because the computer does it all for them. Schools are having problems with children who write in text-speak. 8nt that gr8?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 5357
Location: Holst country (to be different)
Well that is what the businessman of the world wants CC. To make money. What care they as long as their product is sold and makes money. In this case the businessman who comes up with something like "Ginger". Will they care that children do not learn how to write, spell or use grammar. Noooo.
It's all part of the Conservative philosophy "The price of everything and the value of nothing as long as I remain in charge and rich".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 9404
Location: Lake District, England
Crom, you can hardly blame the computer and software manufacturers for children rejecting education, in fact my teacher daughter speaks of software programmes that greatly benefit the children, the latest development being an in-school email system that places all the children and their teachers in contact without risk of corruption from outside. If it's all about money, how come the phpBB system that services this forum comes free of charge, the only cost being the annual hosting fee? My village website created on Google Sites is also free, including hosting, and without Google's generosity we wouldn't have a website.

Spell and grammar checkers certainly have a downside, making us (and children) lazy if we are not careful, but they have their uses. The job of teaching children the value of spelling and grammar lies with the schools.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 5357
Location: Holst country (to be different)
I'm going to answer this on another site. Doesn't seem appropriate on this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 am
Posts: 5976
Location: Fleurieu, South Australia
Cumberland Cockney wrote:
....my teacher daughter speaks of software programmes that greatly benefit the children, the latest development being an in-school email system that places all the children and their teachers in contact without risk of corruption from outside.

The local school stripped the internal email system from kids' computers because its potential was profoundly corrupted.
It was meant for kids to be able to ask for clarification of a task when the teacher was not in the room (on their 'non-contact' time). Or they could ask for a copy of the work sheet that they missed when absent etc.
Instead, the vast majority of it - well over 90% was from student to student with,
Wot u doin after skl?
Dunno yu?
Nuttin - wanna meet?
OK where?
Idoan care. By the libry.
Ok :)


You get the idea - and all done in lesson time.

Quote:
The job of teaching children the value of spelling and grammar lies with the schools.

Why so late? My mum did much of that before and out of school which is why it was so easy when I got there.
Much like my 9+ years of Scouts made army so easy.

_________________
Love people, use things - not the opposite.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 9404
Location: Lake District, England
My daughter teaches primary, 5 to 11-year-olds, and keeps proper control of her class. The email system, all accessible by teacher, has been a great success, encouraging written communication within the class and not accessible from outside the system although parents are allowed to register to view (only) their children's work and communicate with the teacher. At the same time the system gives the kids practice on the keyboard and closely monitored use of the Internet, with full anti-porn controls in place, obviously. The school also has it's own website with noticeboards for displaying the children's work - only accessible through password.

This is how it should be done with great benefits for the children.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:50 pm 
Grizzled Grizzler wrote:
Cumberland Cockney wrote:
....my teacher daughter speaks of software programmes that greatly benefit the children, the latest development being an in-school email system that places all the children and their teachers in contact without risk of corruption from outside.

The local school stripped the internal email system from kids' computers because its potential was profoundly corrupted.
It was meant for kids to be able to ask for clarification of a task when the teacher was not in the room (on their 'non-contact' time). Or they could ask for a copy of the work sheet that they missed when absent etc.
Instead, the vast majority of it - well over 90% was from student to student with,
Wot u doin after skl?
Dunno yu?
Nuttin - wanna meet?
OK where?
Idoan care. By the libry.
Ok :)


You get the idea - and all done in lesson time.

Quote:
The job of teaching children the value of spelling and grammar lies with the schools.

Why so late? My mum did much of that before and out of school which is why it was so easy when I got there.
Much like my 9+ years of Scouts made army so easy.

Reading this thread I was reminded of the Dorothy Parker quote:- ....
you can take a horticulture but you can't make her think , or as an afterthought Stan's ...
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead .....

another favourite Dorothy Parker quote, ... I'm too F*cking busy, and vice versa


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 5357
Location: Holst country (to be different)
For those that are that are following this, on BBC Radio 4 at 8 o'clock tonight in "The Moral Maze", they will be discussing the killing of the prisoner and the sentencing of the marine which will be handed down on Friday. Should be interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group