Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:49 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Hunting ban
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:04 am 

When I heard about the 21-y-o MP I thought it was a bit of a joke. Having heard her speak I think I'd vote for her. Unfortunately I expect to hear by the end of today that my MP is the new leader of the Liberal Democrats. I think I'll move!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:55 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... we-learned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:13 pm 

Thanks for that CC, she seems to have been replaced on my link. She's quite something isn't she.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:30 pm 
Quote:
Unfortunately I expect to hear by the end of today that my MP is the new leader of the Liberal Democrats. I think I'll move!

Hmm ... Leader of the LiB Dems, that's as ineffectual as one can go without stepping into an Parallel universe. It can be argued that it is elevating ineffectuality to a new low indeed it can be compared to farting into a hurricane. Earth trembling near Anus Central aka as Lib Dem HQ, but for the rest of the world it'll cause ne'er a ripple. Stay where you are, Torver has the better prospects in regards to both the future and to the scenic. ...

Sir, a woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all." Johnson

It does seem that her maiden speech was well received, ... or is that received well, errm ... sympathetically?

According to some we have learnt five things about her.

The first is:- that she was three years old when Douglas Alexander was elected to her constituency. (Cue much laughter.)

Now you Guys may not realise this about me, shortly after I was born Adolf Hitler committed hara-kiri (Cue much laughter.)
When I was 6 years old the Flying Enterprise sank in the North Atlantic (Cue much laughter.)
the pointlessness of it all defies description

The Second is She does her research:- She has discovered that Wallace was born in her constituency. I wish she would share her knowledge with the rest of academia because most historians admit that no one knows where Wallace was born or indeed much about his early life.

The third is, She says she's the only 20-year-old getting housing help from the government:-
Well I'm sorry my little delusional sparrow, but be grateful that you are not on your own, for I have a relative who is under 21 and she is also in receipt of housing benefit,

The fourth is, She wants to be a signpost:- here again I must point out that though this is a wonderful soundbite it must be pointed out that the rigidity of the sign post can be viewed as intransigence and the thicker the post the sterner the intransigence and again the caprice of weathervanes can, under the right circumstances appear as flexibility and adaptability. There is a time for both a firm stance and a time for flexibility. but maintaining one or the other at all times is ridiculous

The fifth is, She wants to work with Labour:- Now I know it, after all she's said about Labour in this speech, my suspicions are confirmed, ... she's off her rocker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:27 am 

Shufti Cush wrote:
She wants to be a signpost....

Someone might suggest she should get around more. Parochialism hardly helps her work.
Maybe she aspires to being tall and slim?
Perhaps she just looks blankly when someone asks for questions.
Maybe she's a one-trick pony.

Hardly a big selling point. Who's her PR rep?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:05 am 

Hook Dangler wrote:
Thanks for that CC, she seems to have been replaced on my link. She's quite something isn't she.

Yes, I thought her speech was outstanding and I'm not going to add 'for a 20 year old'. I may not agree with all her politics, but it was concise, amusing, sincere, moving in parts and with impact, and all delivered in 8 1/2 minutes. A woman to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:14 pm 

I've just watched it again. Her secret is that, whether or not you agree with her views, she delivers them with passion, erudition and economy. So many windbags become engrossed with the splendour of their own words.

One other point. Did you notice the Tory benches were well attended but the Labour ones weren't?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:24 am 

She probably wrote her own speech - the trouble with 'established' politicians is that they delegate speech writing to lesser mortals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:09 am 
Quote:
I've just watched it again.

there's no accounting for taste ....
Quote:
Her secret is that, whether or not you agree with her views, she delivers them with passion, erudition and economy.

Sorry, but I saw little passion or erudition and as for economy, yes it was economical or rather frugal in that there was little of substance in there. A couple of points of nonentity and a couple of points of inaccuracy.
For me the most annoying thing was the story of the man in need of food banks and how she failed him dismally, any one with political or social contacts and know how could have helped him but she failed him dismally and then went on to make political capital out of him. Shame on her….
Still hopefully when she hears about the number of dykes in Holland she may view the EU parliament in a more favourable light.
Quote:
One other point. Did you notice the Tory benches were well attended but the Labour ones weren't?

No I counted about 20 Tories and the opposition benches had considerably more, but one is surprised that the numbers hadn't decreased significantly by the end of her speech.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:39 pm 

I've just watched it again.

You're right Shuf, I made a mistake about the numbers.

But I stick to my original point. She can make speech and move me. It doesn't matter that on reflection I may spot the flaws and conclude it was all a load of rubbish, the same impracticable dream of her hero Tony Benn, who finished his life as a comfortable old Tory, beloved of the blue rinsed set. What matters is that she has the rare ability to stir the soul with words. Words from her heart, not from the bland emptiness of a speechwriter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:14 pm 

cromwell man wrote:
Sorry CC but I just don't buy the quick kill. You have to be kidding me when you say that the hounds are completely under control. They are dogs hunting for goodness sake. You'll be telling me next that the hounds have never killed an animal other than the fox or a deer.
Are you honestly trying to tell me that the pack corners the fox and then the head dog either tells the rest that this is his kill and etiquette must be followed or he gives a junior dog the honour. "Go on Cedric, show us your metal and get bloodied".
Please don't keep asking me to come up with a more humane way to kill the fox. I personally don't think it necessary and cars aren't doing a bad job. If the same amount of energy was put into solving the problem as is put into the hunting it would not be a problem. But people who go hunting have a great deal of influence and frankly do not want it stopped.

I used to work with a 'Sloane Ranger' and she would say from time to time "I love hunting and I could ride all day." Somebody wondered if she were still talking about the horse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:52 am 

Thamesider wrote:
Somebody wondered if she were still talking about the horse

Have you ever seen a 'Cougar' in hunting mode?
Cats, claws and stealth are attributes of the species. And I don't mean Ertha Kitt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFMyF9fDKzE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:55 pm 

Quote:
As executioners from the jihadist group prepared to kill a man and young boy in a northern Syrian village near the border with Turkey, the British sniper reportedly killed a knife-wielding man with a single head-shot from 1,000 meters as he was poised to behead the two. The sniper then killed three other death squad executioners.

Now thats what I call hunting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:58 pm 

olderandwiser wrote:
Now thats what I call hunting.

None of this "whites of the eyes" stuff.
Still, the record remains at 2.4 km.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_r ... iper_kills

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 am 

We'll know next week what the revised New Zealand firearm legislation will be. Whatever it is, it will be too little, too late with 50 dead - so far.
Yes, average 'Kiwis' own rifles and shotguns for hunting, culling, sporting activities etc but the private ownership and access to military-style assault weapons takes some justification.
If you want these things, join a military unit and use them under better-controlled conditions.
The fact that last week's offender had illegal accessories for his legal weapons - high-capacity magazines - aggravates the matter further.
Be assured that numerous weapons will go underground - literally - in screw-cap PVC piping. I understand they did here.

Of passing interest, since we had our compulsory buy-back system, there are now more weapons licenced to private owners than before but the type is more restricted: a limit of five rounds to a magazine, I believe.