Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:28 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Reading glasses
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 pm 

Went to the optician this morning to discover something quite interesting, besides that I'm not going blind. Years ago prescription reading glasses were quite expensive so I switched to buying off-the-shelf jobbies (expecting to be told off for it by the optico), eventually settling for 2.0 magnification and gathering several pairs for different rooms, car, workshop etc. My new optician explained that what I was buying way back then was the same thing I'm getting now but in criminally expensive frames. What the tests have shown is that my best mag is 2.25 so I've ordered a pack of 5 from Amazon for £12.99 to cover all my needs.

Also, my last optico prescribed distance glasses which I could never get on with and eventually discarded. The new optico found no macula degeneration and no need for long lenses at all. There are some wicked rackets going on out there.

The reason I went was because of occasional bouts of distorted vision, often brought on by bright sunlight and lasting up to three hours. It appears that with both eyes equally affected and no other faults found this is almost certainly migraine vision that doesn't necessarily involve headaches (not in my case). It's the brain playing up and not something to worry about other than having to avoid driving during an attack. Advice? Just wait until it passes.

Post subject: Re: Reading glasses
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
My new optician explained that what I was buying way back then was the same thing I'm getting now but in criminally expensive frames.

My sister informed me that what I expected to be the most expoensive part - bifocal lenses - were now dirt cheap to produce and the 'designer brand' frames were grossly overpriced. Recent employment reports indicate the high incomes earned by spectacle providers.
Quote:
The new optico found no macula degeneration and no need for long lenses at all. There are some wicked rackets going on out there.

I have worn specs since age 8 and have been diagnosed with AMD a decade ago. So far, it's still minor and well off the main axis so I've been blessed with the least pernicious variety.