Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: GIZMOS AND GIMMICKS
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:36 pm 

I think it was a female OW, and if memory serves she won her case.
I'll have a hunt around.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:07 am 

Found something' don't think it was true though?

Incredible lawsuit tales

RICK CASEY, Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Published 6:30 am, Sunday, November 25, 2007

Recently one of my oldest and dearest friends, a man whose Harvard Ph.D. doesn't begin to measure his intellect and wisdom, sent out one of those mass e-mails meant to amuse and appall.

"OMG! It's even worse than we thought," his message began. It was followed by something called the annual Stella Awards, a list of the year's seven "most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S."

In last place was the tale of Kathleen Robertson of Austin. A jury decided a furniture store owed her $80,000 for a broken ankle she suffered tripping over a toddler running wild in the store.

"The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son," the e-mail said.

Numbers six through two are more ridiculous. Then comes numero uno.
Winnebago winner?
"This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski , of Oklahoma City, who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich.

"Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set.

"The Oklahoma jury awarded her – are you sitting down? – $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:03 am 

Well there you go OW. I entered Grazinsky v Winibagoe and found out I was living under a misapprehension. The case never took place and Wini...never changed their manual.
I therefore stand corrected, maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:24 am 

http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp

This is better:
http://www.jerebeasleyreport.com/2008/0 ... e-exposed/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:46 am 

It must be nearly Olympics time; "they" want me to upgrade my TV.
For $14 795, I can have an 86 inch (2.18m) LG Ultra High Definition receiver with Harman Kardon audio.
I esteem HK speakers but not when they're 4cm across in a TV, and less in a laptop.
I could compensate (and bypass the internal speakers) by adding a Klipsch 'soundbar' - for $1398 more.
But why do I need a wireless woofer if it sits behind the TV? Makes more sense with satellite speakers, admittedly.

How far ahead to I need to plan, given that no broadcaster has any announced intention to offer UHD TV in my lifetime.

And how far across the room do I need to sit to not be engulfed by such a large screen?
" Nothing exceeds like excess."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:52 am 

Wifeperson has a fine cordless mouse from a reputable tech company. We paid about $28 for it.
We didn't realise at the time she could have had one that does all the same functions - and as well - for $128.
Admittedly, ours isn't 'Magic' and doesn't carry the Apple Brand.
"There's one born every minute" and another prepared to take his money.

Attachments:
Apple-Magic-Mouse.jpg
Apple-Magic-Mouse.jpg [ 13.38 KiB | Viewed 731 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:45 am 

I've had the Chromecast dongle for years but, with an increase in data allowance and high-speed fibre to the home I plan to use it more often when the TV is humdrum.
In an effort to cling to the remnants of my childhood, I have discovered that many of the programs from B&W TV days - and after - are available. Yes, Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Lawman, Wyatt Erp etc as well as the cop shows of the era.

Now I have found I can download British serials of the 50s. I can again enjoy Orson Welles doing "The Black Museum" and Guy Dolman (Mum's pin-up) in a host of others.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 pm 

Last week I thought I had ruined my Christmas when I stumbled over an invisible object while carrying a cup of coffee. Not only did I have to repaint the wall but managed to drown the TV remote as well.
I wonder, who thought that designing a telly with no buttons was a good idea?
A fingertip search round the thin black bit surrounding the giant flat screen revealed nothing, google tried to sell me a new one, and a whizz kid from Hitachi told me I was stuffed.
Using all of my electronical knowledge I managed to dry the soggy sticky remote by leaving it on top of a radiator while I sat and watched the newly painted wall dry.
So that's it, good as new, Christmas saved and the bumper two week edition of the radio times on the way. I have also nailed a sock to the sideboard to keep the precious remote away from danger, and another for the dvd player, and one for the sky box, plus the one for the lighting and heating, two I'm not sure about and one to put the spare batteries in.
All I have to do now is hope that there is something on thats worth watching?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:20 am 

olderandwiser wrote:
Last week I thought I had ruined my Christmas when I stumbled over an invisible object while carrying a cup of coffee. Not only did I have to repaint the wall but managed to drown the TV remote as well.
I wonder, who thought that designing a telly with no buttons was a good idea?

Several makers will sell you a "universal" remote that will operate dozens of different brands of TV, once programmed. Usually, they'll also do your recorder etc. Not sure about controlling the garage rolladoor.

Attachments:
remote.jpg
remote.jpg [ 48.02 KiB | Viewed 466 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:16 am 

We don't have a home theatre lounge but I do read the adverts in the weekly log.

A recent edition offered a multiseat recliner with cup-holders in the armrests. Nothing special, you might suggest. These had LED illumination - so you can find your drink in the dark, maybe?

What I still lack is the refrigerated cavity under the seats to hold the metwurst and dips with the ales.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:17 am 

So now I find the story of buying Manhatten Island from the locals for a handful of trinkets isn't true.
However, the era of entertaining humans with trinkets obviously hasn't passed.

How about paying $AU217 to get Sphero SPRK+ for a ball that "can do just about everything."
No: it can't even make toast or bring your pipe and slippers.
One evaluator calls it "A huge amount of fun" - maybe for the first 10 minutes.
The retailers claim, "Program a painting. Navigate a maze. Mimic the solar system. Swim across the water. Have a dance party… The only limit is your imagination."
I don't think so. You can do more with a yoyo and a decent string, I suspect.
"Come in, sucker."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:15 am 

"They" got me again. Lost the remote for the electric rolladoor this week.
Genuine replacement: $60. Online purchase $49 or a cheap Chinese imitation with anticipated life (they said) of 3 months for $14.
For this, I get a microchip worth (maybe) $2, a plastic body ($1.50) and completed assembly (under $2?).
'When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."