Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hawking RIP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:04 am 

So Stephen Hawking is gone, the great "visionary physicist" who did "ground-breaking work". But what did he actually do? Newton invented gravity, Einstein invented relativity and Alexander Graham Bell invented cold calling, but what did Hawking actually invent, discover, create? Or was he just the greatest scientist with motor neurone disease that ever lived? I don't mean to be unkind or speak ill of, but is it just that his field of genius was so advanced and complicated that a mere idiot like me couldn't possibly understand it? I just can't help wondering if whatever he discovered or contributed to life had any actual point.

Post subject: Re: Hawking RIP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:52 pm 

Did Newton really invent gravity? Makes you wonder what we did without it before 1687?
I was surprised at how I felt while listening to some of his tributes this morning, I never knew him, bought any of his records or never knew what he was talking about but I have to respect that this little scrunched up man in a wheelchair kept his sense of humour and proved that the severely disabled could still be brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:06 am 

Seems fitting that he died on Pi day (3.14).
I watch the Big Bang Theory and loved his frequent cameo appearances where he took the mickey out of Sheldon. And his comment that wearing dark glasses and as wig did not help him achieve anonymity because the wheelchair gave him away struck me as rather funny.
As for his science it is so far above my head that I don't see the point in my trying to understand it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:51 am 

Having listened to some of the tributes from other scientists I'm inclined to agree with Greg that it's all just way over my head. If they say he was one of the greats who am I to argue. I certainly admire him for his courage in adversity, sense of humour and his determination to bring the knowledge to us ordinary folk. Perhaps I need to read his 'Brief History...'. I might even learn something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:28 am 

My main problem with all this 'Big Bang' science is that I cannot get my head around the idea that nothing was sitting nowhere and then that nothing exploded and formed everything everywhere. To my mind there must have been something to explode and somewhere for it to explode and expand into and witth the amount of stuff that we can see by looking at the sky the stuff that exploded must have been pretty massive. One of the science I have read makes any attempt to go back before the Big Bang and this seems to me to be a rather big cop out on the part of the scientists.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:37 am 

A scene from Men In Black that stuck in my mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_m8LJ2Z3no

I'm with you Greg, I just can't imagine the idea of the whole of the universe once being compressed by gravity into an infinitely small singularity which exploded, or of the beginning of time when there was no time before because there couldn't have been a before. It's all really just speculation. So what do we know, and what will we know tomorrow? It makes no sense and it will take just one evidence backed discovery to throw the whole existing concept of the Big Bang into the bin to join the flat Earth and the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:20 pm 

Love MIB!

As car as I can see the Big Bang concept is based on an observation that appears to show the universe is expanding, in all directions, and the scientist simply reversed the expansion and came to the conclusion that it must have started as a single point about 14 billion years ago. Me, I am just as certain that we are living in a computer construct, a bit like the film The Matrix.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 pm 

Interesting is to wonder if your 'Matrix' theory is any less likely than Big Bang since they both present is near impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:18 am 

greg wrote:

Roughly, yes. No if you accept 3.141 592......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:21 am 

olderandwiser wrote:
Did Newton really invent gravity? Makes you wonder what we did without it before 1687?

Haven't you seen all the artworks of the time with people floating around like astronauts?

Speaking of which, one of my pet aversions is the claim that astronauts float in zero gravity while in orbit.
Patently, they move in roughly circular orbits, centred on the Earth and hence are in constant acceleration DUE TO GRAVITY.
Yes, they're weightless (sic) much the same as you are when free-falling down a mine shaft.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:17 pm 

Grizzled Grizzler wrote:
greg wrote:

Roughly, yes. No if you accept 3.141 592......

Interesting but was Pi resolved to 6 decimal places by 14 March 1592?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:09 am 

greg wrote:
....was Pi resolved to 6 decimal places by 14 March 1592?

Good point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi#Antiquity
We got better at it in the 20th century.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... er-before/