Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: The Beautiful Game
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:02 am 

Did I get that right? Your footballers are concerned at the rates of exchange and want to be paid in euros?
At $320 000 a week?! Poor beggars.

Were they exaggerating when they said one bloke forgot where he parked his Maserati so bought himself another one? Good grief!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:41 pm 

As a part time football fan it is virtualy compulsory to watch our national side bumbling around the pitch during the world cup. Try as I might I just can't sit and watch 90 minutes of poor footballing entertainment.
Imagine my surprise to watch the news and dozens of pundits telling me the next day that they were 'brilliant'???
Have I been watching the wrong England? Is there a red button I should be pressing to avoid 80 minutes of back passing? I know the team I've been watching has a slack jawed oaf who pops up to take the penalties and a little black bloke who runs like a girl but apart from that I'm sure I aint seen anything 'brilliant' yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:00 pm 

I am a bit more serious as a football fan, just a bit not a fanatic, and I agree with you OW. The only explanation I can think of for the team's performances over the years is that successive managers have developed a system based on convincing the opposing players that the England team are a bunch of useless tossers and thus lulling them into a false sense of security.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:21 am 

olderandwiser wrote:
Is there a red button I should be pressing to avoid 80 minutes of back passing?

Dare I agree with you both?

I have said for a generation so far that they should move the posts out a foot (yes, I do remember them) and raise the bar a foot. That way, we/you might get a game with scores like "five vs seven" rather than the rubbish of A thrashed B 2 to 1."

And at last they are penalising Academy Award performances for "He touched me so I writhed in agony for the next minute."

Meanwhile, my AFL team is on tonight: real men with consistently-impressive acts of coordination under pressure, endurance and strength.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:29 am 

When the rules were set a tall man was someone of 5' 8" or thereabouts and the size of the goal designed to make it difficult for a tall goalkeeper to reach the corners or the crossbar. Most goalkeepers are now 6'-6+ so I am in agreement with you GG, a couple of feet wider and a foot higher would adjust the goal to suit today's goalkeepers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:49 am 

Of course I agree with 'everything' posted for fear of losing anybody else from our already pitiful membersip but I have to admit that Engerland gave a creditable performance against the Swedes yesterday.
Having an underlying condition I very much doubt that I will turn up for the final but 'well done lads, sorry for underesimating you'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 pm 

D'yer know, I really am sorry for not giving a monkey's toss about this Russian football thingy. Hearing all the sincerely stated bollocks about it 'Coming Home' and our glorious heroes saving the nation and bringing us together after the EU referendum I do realise just how much it means to people and I'll almost be sorry to see them disappointed. But I can't help feeling that somebody has to be and if not us tonight it'll be the Croatians and I have nothing against them. I do have some prejudice against our overpaid, professional fouling morons but I don't suppose any other nations are different. So I'll just stay out of it, trying to ignore the impression given by the commentators that winning the cup will be the equivalent of the Dunkirk rescues or finding a cure for cancer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:31 am 

Oops!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 am 

Can't hang about as I have a doctors appointment in half an hour. It's a bit of a nuisance and I hate going but at least I'll get the chance to see what carnage the Enlish football fans have left in the town centre.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:12 am 

Grown men weeping in the streets? Talk about "first world problem"!
Whatever happened to stiff upper lips? Standards are slipping.

I'm off to solve a major crisis, myself. The printer cartridge has run dry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:28 am 

So the team sponsor bit the dust in his helicopter. Tragic for many, I'm sure.
If the quotation that he had donated a hundred million pounds to the team is correct, I wonder how many of his own nationals could have had a vast improvement in their lives and circumstances, had he spent it closer to home.
I guess I'll never know, any more than I'll know why Wahabi Arabs treat everyone else like a lower form of life, there for their benefit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:22 am 

I have noticed that 'taking a dive' is now an every day part of modern football. In fact the more successful the team the more cynical their cheating becomes. As the coaching staff can only gain from their divas choreographed falling over, it can only be part of their training ground tactics. Even the managers are getting in on the act.
Hibs boss' Neil Lennon was hit on the chin with a 5p coin, he took a well rehearsed slow motion fall to the foor and had to be carried off on a stretcher.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 am 

Heard a report on 'football' (soccer) in Indonesia this week.
Apparently, they have exclusively local/supporter crowds for home games to prevent mayhem between the 'tribes'.
Apparently, one reckless youth sneaked in to watch his team - the 'away' side - but was recognised before the mob beat him to death.
There is a precedent. Another 'away' supporter was lynched for barracking for the wrong team.
All a bit serious isn't it? As one commentator said, "Sport is not life and earth; it's more important than that." Really?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:04 am 

You'd have to be keen.
A father and son have flown to Spain to see their favourite team play - and win - the final.
Son footed the bill by spending his house deposit and the money he had saved for a trip to the USA with his mates.
All that for a few hours pleasure which he described as "the pleasure that money can't buy: a win."
Puts a lot of eggs in one basket.

Maybe he plans to live with Dad, now that the prospects of his own place have flown.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8