Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:25 am 

Ever been to a wedding as the 'significant other' where you didn't know the couple?
Someone is now showing entrepreneurial flair by selling tickets to weddings.
Fancy witnessing a Lebanese, Korean, Greek or Inuit ceremony and reception?
Or go the whole hog with a three-day Indian event.
Might be a cultural highlight of your year with an introduction to some food outside your usual offerings.
The couple gets the fee (minus booking/handling charge) to offset the wedding costs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:30 am 

Nothing new there Grizz, didn't know either of my wedding guests who were sheltering from the rain but stayed for the reception.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:11 am 

I once went to a Hindu wedding - quite an experience! When we arrived we were seated in an auditorium and given snacks and soft drinks packs, the wedding took place on a stage, much of it behind a sheet held up to conceal the bride, groom, priest and the parents of both bride and groom. The ceremony lasted about 45 minutes after which the wedding party left the room and the 'audience' was asked to remain seated. After about 20 minutes the wedding party returned with the bride in a completely new outfit, new wedding dress, head dress etc. and the whole thing started again - 40 minutes or so later it was, thankfully, over.

By contrast a West-Indian wedding I attended was a blast from start to finish, including the hymn singing in the church.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:32 am 

Bugger that for a game of soldiers. I've always felt that the best engagement gift from either father to the happy couple is a note of disapproval, an extension ladder and directions to Gretna Green.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:32 am 

greg wrote:
After about 20 minutes the wedding party returned with the bride in a completely new outfit, new wedding dress, head dress etc.

I attended a wedding in Kobe Japan at a pricey hotel which had a chapel which scheduled several weddings a day. The officiating minister was an American with fluent Japanese.
The bride entered in white for the ceremony but, when we arrived a few floors up for the reception, there was a card for each guest to mark the colour of the dress the bride would wear on entry. I would have loved red but guessed blue. She came in dressed in red.
When it was time to shake hands with all the guests - as they departed - she reappeared in ice blue.
With venue, grooming, costumes, make-up, video crew, MC, overnight accommodation for the couple and their parents (and us VIPs from Oz!) followed by buffet breakfast, 'Dad' might have got change from $100 000.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:38 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
I've always felt that the best engagement gift from either father to the happy couple is a note of disapproval, an extension ladder and directions to Gretna Green.

At one stage, we came close, to avoid the bickering of the mothers. As it was, we proceeded with the military wedding with regimental pipers - nice.

A program yesterday spoke of the modern trend in weddings. The adviser said a couple could cut many corners (including bride's mum makes the cake, bridesmaids do the flowers and pay for their own dresses etc) and get away with a basic event for $10 000. Apparently, the common rate is $60 000. I'd rather have the deposit on a house.

The local weekender displays the couples who have double honeymoons - Phuket and Hawaii. Who are they trying to impress? The tragedy is that a decade later, they hardly have enough to pay for the divorce, given the 'life expectancy' of an Australian marriage is seven years.

A friend's daughter is running her own garden wedding and will conclude with a stand-up reception with gourmet pizzas. (There is such a thing?).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:55 am 

Daughter's wedding: registry office - he in tails over jeans and boots - she in trouser suit made to incorporate material from her mother's wedding dress - two children from his previous wearing outrageous outfits of their own choosing (they looked great) - pie & peas reception in pub by canal - home made single tier wedding cake made by bride's mum and decorated by the children (chaotic but magnificent, and delicious) - champers trip up the canal in a barge - family depart in their ancient Landrover.

It was the cheapest, best and happiest wedding I've ever attended.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:45 am 

I should not have tempted fate - I have this morning received an invitation to another Hindu wedding - the brother of the bride in the previous wedding is getting married!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:17 am 

It's all about location Greg. Check out the local pubs - unavoidably delayed - have your excuses ready.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:14 am 

greg wrote:
I have this morning received an invitation to another Hindu wedding....

So you still have time to check which hand to eat with. Or is that Turkish?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:28 am 

It is always the right hand - but you can ensure you get a really big meal by using your left hand, no one else will touch it then!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:52 am 

greg wrote:
....but you can ensure you get a really big meal by using your left hand, no one else will touch it then!

You cad, sir: foul play!