Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Slots
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:02 pm 

Life can be so annoying!

I needed a vertical plate to stand in front of the open fire to prevent burning coals from falling between the outer edge of the grate and the curved front plate - too big a gap. It had to be a healthy piece of steel to withstand the heat, stood on short legs with feet, about 12+" x 5". After a few days of pointless pondering the answer presented itself - an old 14" heavy duty bench saw blade. A quick experiment with the angle grinder and diamond cutting disc showed I could cut it easily, two cuts across leaving blade teeth on each end - points removed and edges rounded for decorative effect. Legs? An old 2' long shelf support with a 2" cross piece at each end - cut the ends off at 4.5" and I have my legs. Drill the legs for bolting onto the blade bit, 4 x 1/4" holes drilled 1/2" from the top and bottom edges of the blade. Got all that? Brilliant eh!

Except that I couldn't get a drill bit through the high tensile steel of the blade. Bugger! Even starting off at 1/8" I blunted four drill bits before giving up with hardly a dent in the steel. Double bugger!

So I'm supping my mid-morning cuppa and moaning to the missus when she says, "How far from the edge?" "Half an inch." "And your diamond disc cuts OK?" "Yes." "So instead of drilling holes, why not cut four slots?"

It hadn't occurred to me, but it's the perfect solution. And SHE thought of it. Job done in about 10 minutes, legs bolted on and fire shield in place. And now, possibly forever more, any time I question her judgement on any matter at all I just know she'll say "slots".

Post subject: Re: Slots
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:18 pm 

It might be a good idea to move aside and let her take control of the keyboard for a bit CC. Smart Arse would be a fitting 'nom de plume'?

Post subject: Re: Slots
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:22 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
....it's the perfect solution. And SHE thought of it..

Women: every home should have one, and with a host of benefits.
They tell me some can even cook. :wink: