Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Musee d'Orsay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:02 pm 

That was quite a day. Off at 4am and ridiculously early to St Pancras. But it allowed us time for breakfast outside (well not outside but under that enormous domed glass roof that was saved by Betjeman and friends).

Train at five to eight wafted us in a couple of hours to the Gare du Nord in the heart of Paris. My meticulous planning then went awry. We had started to walk but stopped for an apritif which led to another. By the time we got to the Musee d'Orsay it was time for lunch. So we went straight to the grand dining room. An average meal in magnificent surroundings accompanied by much wine followed by cognac.

So by the time we were ready to gaze in awe, we had less than half an hour left. You need at least a day to go round this wondrous place, so a quick peek was all we managed. Then a taxi to the Gare du Nord and we were in St Pancras at five to seven. Return fare ninety odd quid. Back home with my dog at ten,

God I slept well. The best things were the taste for Paris that Tom and Sally got (they can't wait to go back) and the way the four of us got on. Jo and I have been apart for twenty years but I don't think any of us stopped laughing all day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:24 pm 

Hook Dangler wrote:
....the way the four of us got on. Jo and I have been apart for twenty years but I don't think any of us stopped laughing all day.

Good on you all. If only more such families could have such ongoing sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:16 am 

Loved your post Hooky, and would have been terribly disappointed if you had kept to your schedule! "Let's have a quick one" can so often change the well laid plans of mice and men! (I speak from experience!). But you and your family obviously had a glorious day, the memories of which will never fade. And the cherry on the cake? - the raptuous welcome I'm sure you received from Snooker when you finally arrived home!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:42 am 

I just had a look through this post Merry and in case you thought he was alone, Snooker was with neighbours who have an odd looking 'labradoodle' that for some unknown reason is the love of his life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 am 

It is so comforting when animals bond Hooky. I sincerely hope Snooker and his lady friend enjoy one another's company for a long time to come! It has just occured to me that perhaps Snooker's friend is male!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:43 pm 

Merry wrote:
It is so comforting when animals bond Hooky. I sincerely hope Snooker and his lady friend enjoy one another's company for a long time to come! It has just occured to me that perhaps Snooker's friend is male!

How delightfully old-fashioned is that final comment, Merry. Well done.