Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Petula Clark
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:28 pm 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
I have never understood why film stars, musicians and sports people get honours at all, but then awarding them to businessmen and politicians is no more creditable. If they are not for services to humanity then they have no worth, just trinkets dished out to appease the vanity of self-serving wasters.

I agree completely. Gongs for jockeys, cricketers, pop singers and CEOs of vast companies (from whom they draw multimillion dollar/pound/euro salaries) are embarrassing for those who earn them by genuine sacrificial service.
Save them for ambulance volunteers, defence personnel, those whose service is altruistic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:51 pm 

There are many that have raised millions for charity but don't let's get too carried away. Jimmy Saville was amongst them.
No I do not put Petula amongst that class but please let us remember that it is only their fame that enables them to raise vast amounts of money mainly from the hangers on who need that shot of fame to make them feel good. The true altruistic humble people that raise a couple of hundred here and a couple of hundred there and after 50 odd years of hard graft get an OBE if they are lucky.
No don't put them on a pinnacle RC they have had good lives and deserves just the same as anyone else who has done a good job and in a different way served the public. Why does she need all those houses except to make a packet for her old age and avoid taxes. Surely a person with her wealth could rent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:51 pm 

major upset , yes please write to the honours committee C/o 10 Downing Street. Cromwell Man as I pointed out petula when questioned about charity work shrugs it off and will not talk about it in any way that would glorify her. I find a lot of the televised telethon things quite awful and when you see someone like Tony Christie being so smug about the sales of AMARILLO its sickening when you think how a charity record resurrected his long forgotten career. i have actually been at fundraising events amongst Petula's fans for cruisaid and seen the woman roll up her sleeves and do the washing up!

As to her homes I really am not privy as to why she has so many but it certainly seems a better way to preserve her millions (she was the first woman to be paid a million in Las Vegas, so her wealth is extensive) than as some pop and rock stars do to blow it all on drugs etc. As far as I am aware her son and two daughters actually reside in some of her property and who is to say that she should not be allowed to do that given her wealth?

However a lot of this is irrelevant . My point basically is that a woman who has decently represented this country globally for 70 of her 80 years is at least as worthy as her contemporaries and if they have the award (Shirley Bassey , Julie Andrews , Elizabeth Taylor , Mick Jagger for example ) then simple common justice and fairness should give her the award!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:52 am 

Just for Crom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Ry5sp3-jf0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:31 pm 

Just like the Rod Stewart "sailing" I have to reach for the sick bag.
RC you are quite correct that she should be able to do what she likes with her wealth, which, according to you, seems vast, and as long she has paid the correct tax without any corners being cut I could care less.
Getting your hands dirty for charity is great when you don't have to go on doing it for life. It's like having the grandchildren, lovely but you can always give them back. That she has not been given any recognition must mean that she is frowned upon by some in higher circles. Secondly why does she want one, if she does want one that is. They mean nothing except maybe to keep up with the Jones's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 pm 

Oh I am sure she could not care less. I have been a fan for a long time (well you guessed or deduced that) and I know there is little justice in the world and as I think I explained earlier I really don't believe in honours in themselves. However if they do exist as they do then I feel strongly that she is a great example of someone representing our nation globally in an exemplary manner for 70 of her 80 years. I feel that if the like of Shirley Bassey , Julie Andrews, Elizabeth Taylor , Cleo Laine , Diana Rigg , Bruce Forsythe, Terry Wogan , Mick Jagger , Michael Caine, Tom Jones and Cliff Richard have been awarded the honour that natural justice should decree that she get one .

She has some recognition having various awards including a CBE

I feel that she has been omitted unjustly from the list above

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 pm 

rcpoems wrote:
Oh I am sure she could not care less. I have been a fan for a long time (well you guessed or deduced that) and I know there is little justice in the world and as I think I explained earlier I really don't believe in honours in themselves. However if they do exist as they do then I feel strongly that she is a great example of someone representing our nation globally in an exemplary manner for 70 of her 80 years. I feel that if the like of Shirley Bassey , Julie Andrews, Elizabeth Taylor , Cleo Laine , Diana Rigg , Bruce Forsythe, Terry Wogan , Mick Jagger , Michael Caine, Tom Jones and Cliff Richard have been awarded the honour that natural justice should decree that she get one .

She has some recognition having various awards including a CBE

I feel that she has been omitted unjustly from the list above

Roger Moore should also be added to the list, and how about Jacky Stewart - he also lived in Switzerland for several years, Roger Moore still does.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:14 pm 

Oh yes and if you want to add sports stars !! I mean Kelly Holmes .... if Petula had only recorded DOWNTOWN (worldwide No 1 , USA No 1 has won 2 Grammys) ..then her musical achievement would be roughly equivalent to Kelly's athletic ones !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:40 pm 

No offence meant, RC, I'm afraid I find this appeal for a honour for Petula Clark rather yawn making. Maybe compared to other undeserving film stars and warblers she does deserve something in the Christmas stocking, but I know a lady near here who has devoted most of her life to working for the elderly and other charities in the area and there are no gongs or medals for her, although it is to her great credit that she would laugh at the very idea. There's something very childish about performers that they need their Oscars and Baftas, the sort of prizes we give to children who grow out of it by their late teens. They get paid way above what they are worth and live lives of extravagant luxury - isn't that enough? If our honours are worth anything any more let them go to people who are really worthy of them, not film stars and boring pop singers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:46 pm 

You really do p...s me off CC. Me I spend hours typing out my reasons for this and that and you pop up and do it in a sentence or two. God's strewth. I give up but totally agree.
RC don 't let your admiration mask your reason. Think about it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:26 pm 

You nearly had me then called our national treasure singer / songwriter / playwright / cabaret star , film , TV and stage actress a pop star and boring!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:32 pm 

Pet probably doesn't know she was the first love of my life. More simple devotion really, nothing sexual, for I was only about five. She featured in Radio Fun and could mimic any sound. If only I'd met her. I would have kept her pure and chaste and would never have allowed her to indulge in those Kevin Keegan hairstyles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:06 pm 

I have all the radio fun mags ..wonderful they are . The Petula bits were also published in book form about 5 years ago! I fell for her at the age of four when uncle mac played CHRISTOPHER ROBIN AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE and THE LITTLE SHOEMAKER as well as lots of other things by her! I have met her many times and have even had the privilege of writing sleeve notes for her CD's and have compiled many of them . I am with you with the disastrous hairstyles! After the seventies perm we had a good period but from about 84 till recently her hairstyle was my pet hate . Thank goodness she had it seen to recently!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 pm 

rcpoems wrote:
You nearly had me then called our national treasure singer / songwriter / playwright / cabaret star , film , TV and stage actress a pop star and boring!

Well, that nicely side-steps the point and I'll happily withdraw 'boring' in her case, but did she really give all that as a personal sacrifice for humanity without reward? No, of course not. She made a nice tidy sum and lived very well on the proceeds, and I begrudge her none of it. But I still say let's leave the rich and successful to their riches and save the honours for those who really deserve them, those whose actions went beyond the call of duty and who demanded no cash reward for those selfless services.

My knighthood hasn't come through yet so, thankfully, I'm saved being ranked alongside the likes of Sir Elton John and Sir Jimmy Savile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:49 am 

cromwell man wrote:
Just like the Rod Stewart "sailing" I have to reach for the sick bag.

Does he have to sing to do that for you?
I read an article yesterday about him sharing stories of the first half (or so) of his adult life.
He declared his long-term promiscuity, marital betrayals and shabby terminations of casual relationships.
Maybe he's a redeemed character but mere confession means little without regret (repentance?).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next