Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Petula Clark
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:43 pm 

So Petula Clark is 80 years old in a few weeks time. She has just had a splendid success representing the UK round the world. A No 2 hit in Ireland, a 14 week run in the Belgium chart with another new single , a four week sell out season in new York's premier nightspot Feinstein's , a 24 date sell out tour of Australia. A new French album that is selling well , a new English album completed to be released in new year. None of these things get reported in the UK's press or in any media here. Well she is an old woman and ageism and sexism are alive and well in the UK in these areas. Dame Vera Lynn recently said she was amazed that Petula (who like Vera was a World War 2 star, the emblem of many battalions) was not a Dame. The Downing Street petition to get a damehood awarded was a success with many legends (Cliff Richard, Ruthie Henshall, Don Black , Tim Rice, Michael Caine and many many others) signing it . Petula has now been famous from the age of 10 so that's 70 years . Most of that time her fame has been global. Very strange and unfair that she has not had this honour awarded. before you bring out the old chestnut 'well she lived in France so long' , let me say she has actually lived in Switzerland most of the time that she is thought to have lived in France . She has UK homes and has worked extensively here (unlike Julie Andrews, Elizabeth Taylor for example) and other major artists who have had the honour include Mick Jagger , Shirley Bassey and Sean Connery ..none of whom are British resident. Isn't this lack of an award an injustice for the woman who the Guinness book of records recognise as the biggest selling female vocalist to be produced by the UK ?

Post subject: Re: Petula Clark
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm 

Absolutely right, RC - hear, hear! I was still in short trousers when first I fell in love with Pet Clark - her perky personality as much as her music. When she released Downtown in 1964, I'd just left university and I thought she was getting too old for that disco type of song! I'll sign a pet-ition for her Dame-ing at the drop of a hat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:15 pm 

Is she a UK resident RC?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 pm 

Downtown was the first single I ever bought when I was 15 or thereabouts. I thought it was good then and still do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 pm 

Cromwell man she has UK homes and lives here part of the time (she works for various charities here and also is the President of the Chichester festival for example) but her grand children are in New York so like all grannies a lot of time is spent there. She also has France and Switzerland homes! Not like us , she does not seem to sell one home when buying another! Unlike a lot of others I mentioned who have the honour she does come and work here and reside here frequently. Sir Michael Caine's comment when he signed the petition was 'bloody hell she was famous when I was young' ....Senex ...yes I had loved her fifties hits as a small child (Christopher Robin , The Little Shoemaker etc ) and never thought she would be part of the groovy beat sixties ...but she was ! She was by FAR the most successful Brit Girl in America in the sixties and is probably our biggest female export there of any era.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:07 am 

Senex Iracundus wrote:
I'll sign a pet-ition for her Dame-ing at the drop of a hat.

So long as you're not Dame-ing through faint praise. She's worth more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
Downtown was the first single I ever bought when I was 15 or thereabouts. I thought it was good then and still do.

Can't stand the song! Hated it the first time I heard it, and still do!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:49 am 

cromwell man wrote:
Is she a UK resident RC?

When in Switzerland, she lives in Cologny, the most expensive suburb of Geneva.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:45 am 

No definitely not through feint praise! I am sure where ever she lives is expensive (her Chichester home is stunning and Megeve in the French Alps is also a very fashionable area). You don't have to like DOWNTOWN to make you appreciate her longevity . Her first no 1 hit was with THE LITTLE SHOEMAKER in Australia in 1954 (she had had hits before and indeed had best sellers before the charts we initiated) . She made 33 successful films (gave Alec Guinness his first screen kiss in THE CARD , is one of the few people who survive who were in a Powell and Pressburger masterpiece - I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING! She also is the only British actress to dance with Fred Astaire on film - FINIAN'S RAINBOW, she was BAFTA nominated for WHITE CORRIDORS) . Around the world she has had Top 30 hits over the decades with 202 different recordings , so its really not likely that you love all her hits . There are some I am not fond of ! I believe she has been a great Ambassador for the Uk the world over and her stature is equal to that of many of her contemporaries who have this honour and feel that if the world was a fair place (ho ho see the Chris Patten thread) that she would be awarded a Damehood.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:46 am 

I do agree with you RC; Petula has been around professionally for ever it seems, so an award in recognition of that would not be inapproproiate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:57 am 

I will go with the award as long as she become a permanent resident and pays her due taxes. Too many stars (sic) reside abroad and only come back for medical reasons.
The classic star-no hoper is Sean Connery, griping on for years about how bad the English were and Scotland forever and Scotland should be independent and all the time complaining about he hasn't been made a "Sir". What a poser, Bond would be ashamed of him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am 

Merry thanks for the agreement . Crommy, well I agree about SIR Sean . I however don't think you can say only folk who live here permanently can be honoured as too many already have that award without British residency . Folk like Julie Andrews and Elizabeth Taylor almost never set foot here (I know Elizabeth is no longer with us but it was decades since she had been here for any length of time ) . Petula at least was here for 18 months continuously when she was in SUNSET BOULEVARD in the West End and also 15 months when she was in THE SOUND OF MUSIC , so certainly within those periods paid tax on very high earnings . She also has played Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard longer than any other actress as on completion of her 18 month run in the West end she undertook a further 18 months on the national tour of America (and thus paid taxes there). Oddly her career is SO long that when the Billy Wilder film was issued in 1950 she was the teen ambassador for the British film industry who accompanied Gloria Swanson to the Royal premier in Blackpool on a train , little knowing that decades later she would play Swanson's role ! This is the woman who as an 11 year old was appearing in short propaganda / information films , being adopted as mascot by troops and whose image was on the gunsights of the tanks at El Alamein. I feel she certainly deserves recognition and her 80th birthday is in three weeks , making her a famous icon for 70 years ! I also wonder how much our German friends knew of her wartime significance when they went wild over her in the sixties giving her million selling records in German in Germany alone !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:36 am 

I have never understood why film stars, musicians and sports people get honours at all, but then awarding them to businessmen and politicians is no more creditable. If they are not for services to humanity then they have no worth, just trinkets dished out to appease the vanity of self-serving wasters.

When I win that big one on the Lottery I think I'll start my own honours system called 'True Knights' with TKs awarded only to those who do good with no thought of personal gain. Potential holders of the honour would be nominated by others and expected to bear it with modesty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:22 pm 

Cumberland Cockney (Cunby ??) I kind of agree with that . I don't think we should have honours as we do , however having accepted we do have them I think she is more worthy of one than many others who have them . Also in fact she works fairly ceaselessly for great charities and refuses to talk about her work in a way that I feel is admirable . Many try to make charity work a career stepping stone in quite an awful way . Petula has worked for a charity that Vera Lynn set up in the fifties for decades re folk with cerebral palsy , she fundraises for disadvantaged children and devotes time to this cause , and also promotes music and arts festivals whenever she can . She is also a major fund raiser for Cruisaid (Aids research) . In addition her work for the save the children fun involved an extensive visit to Vietnam in the 80;'s fact finding about refugee camps and the reality of them . Very hands on and low profile not using her celebrity. Not a saint but a thoroughl;y decent woman who tries to make a difference without profiting from charity work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:03 pm 

I totally agree with all the praise expressed. I too like Petula and admire her star quality. Is there somewhere we can all write to to express our enthusiasm for an honour for her ?
Certainly some far less worthy individuals receive honours and recognition - and for what ?