Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:37 am 

Does it really matter? I spect my parents had trubs unnerstanning what I was on abaht arf the time. We the superior ones can get through it the same as I have no doubt my kids will get through their kids idiosyncratic language. We did after all invent the ability to enable them to watch the Simpsons et al, so who should we blame. Cool it man. Y'know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:05 pm 

cromwell man wrote:
Does it really matter? I spect my parents had trubs unnerstanning what I was on abaht arf the time.

Crom, I bet you never pronounced that G on the end of unnerstanning.

What troubles me is this: once a nation/culture/society stops valuing education, and even glories in the display of a lack of it, the path down into the abyss becomes increasingly slippery.

JS Mill (or was it Ruskin?) thought that, once every English child was provided with an education, the nation would reach the sunny uplands of law-abiding democracy, with arts and sciences prospering both. After a century of free education, we already have a significant minority who despise and disparage it; the measure of achievement and the preferred route to contentment has become wealth, not understanding. The casual abuse of the language has become a part - just a small part - of this syndrome, pervading all levels of society. We have worthy citizens who can seriously ask, "Does it really matter?" Well, do any mistakes matter? Does low-level crime matter? Do clerical oversights matter? Do we do justice to ourselves in settling for second-best in any sphere? Ignorance must remain excusable, as we are all widely ignorant, but to shrug off avoidable errors as 'not mattering' is to betray the best of ourselves.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:01 am 

Completely agree with you SI, well not quite completely. I think that kids should be taught correct grammar, correct spelling and most importantly how to write. But this is the modern world and we now have machines that do that all for us. I bang away on my laptop and when I have a touch of the "fingers" or there is a word that I have a problem spelling the machine tells me and obligingly gives me the correct spelling. Can it do "grammar"? I have no idea and that becomes more obvious to you all when you read some of my dreary posts. I'm not to clever with where a comma goes and tend to run on and on and on and hopefully get it in the right place occasionally. Somewhat like a broken watch, it's correct at least twice a day.
As long as we can understand each other does it really matter? Annoying to see all the errors, well what we consider errors but I catch your or my drift. I stand from under.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:28 pm 

cromwell man wrote:
As long as we can understand each other does it really matter? Annoying to see all the errors, well what we consider errors but I catch your or my drift. I stand from under.

Crom, I assure you I have enough to worry about in the contents of your posts, without fretting over commas, colons, and paragraphing. But "does it matter?" Well, yes if it affects the sense of what you intend to say, but no in that we're just a bunch of oldies (plus Merry etc, of course) who choose to exchange views as best we may. I have to assume that you're not deliberately teasing us with your mode of expression, and that you're just speaking in your natural voice. I rant from time to time about rules and accuracy (as I see them) because it's my personal hobby-horse, but I assure you that I'm not marking your posts out of ten - I'm far too busy scratching my head over some of your opinions! As you intend I should!

Computers can help with spelling, provided you watch out for Americanisms. They can help with the rudiments of grammar, though their simplistic wavy green lines sometimes drive me to distraction. But the average laptop/desktop can say nothing about style, because style and content are closely allied, and the compi can't comprehend what we want to say. Once it can, it will be time to take to the underground shelters and send for John O'Connor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:59 pm 

Well well SI. John O'Connor eh. Perhaps we should terminate this right now. If you wanted to spend an hour or two in mindless relaxation then do it with the Terminator. He comes across as quite a nice person our Arnold, but in actual fact he is an a......e. Never know do you.
Anyway as long as we have difficulty in unnerstanning ech ofah it makes life interesting.
Watched "The Lavender Hill Mob" this arvo (recorded) and loved to hear the newspaper vendor with his "Starnewstanner". Have not heard that for years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 am 

There are several recent abuses that have been irking me.
First is the practice of referring to "a diversity of...." rather than '''diverse..."
The other is "the number of incidences" meaning "number of incidents".

The battle is all but lost on lay/lie - "Leave it laying on the bench."
I shall continue to resist "He dove off the jetty" as with "He drove off the jetty."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:38 am 

On a point of order Mr Aussie, if ever you come across a chicken laying on the beach just leave it until it's finished.

Speaking of which, years ago when I kept hens, free range of course, one came into my workshop, padded across the bench where I was working, hopped up onto the high shelf unit at the other end and laid an egg. Next day it did the same, so I cleared one end of the shelf, made a hay nest and it came every day for months. Drills, power saw, grinder, hammering, nothing bothered it in the least.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:25 am 

Cumberland Cockney wrote:
....nothing bothered it in the least.

Either it was deaf or it fancied you.

Dad used to buy a hen each September and fatten it up for Christmas dinner. From an early stage, when he built the house in 1947/8, each time he found a stone, he'd throw it up against the side fence. Quite a pile developed over the years but the vegetable patch thrived.
One year, the selected hen laid an egg - on the rock pile. Dad took compassion on it, we gave it a name - Clara - and she stayed with us for years. Thus we began commercial egg production and, later, meat birds, twice a year (Easter and Christmas) and accrued a tidy income.

Bloody birdbrain chooks!