Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:40 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:34 am 

So far this year, we (Australia) have set 200 new records for temperatures and low rainfall.
In mid-spring, we have had 30 degrees this week and inland NSW had 40.
Anyone like to guess what mid-summer will be like?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:54 am 

If it's anything like ours it'll be pissing down most of the time and ruddy cold. I thought this Warming thing was supposed to be Global.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:04 am 

Perth (Western Australia) has been warned to expect five months' rain today, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Just an atmospheric aberration, like the repeated coral bleaching along the Great Barrier Reef.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ecosystems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:14 pm 

As far as I can see the "global warming" effect dates, to an extent, back to the "acid rain" furore which banned, or drastically reduced, sulphur dioxide emissions and inadvertantly removed a powerful solar reflector from the atnosphere - yet another case of trying to cure a problem without considering all the posible consequences, something which governments and single-minded pressure groups are all to prone to do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:37 am 

Weather records - at least accurate ones - are a relatively modern collection. Ice cores show substantial fluctuations in carbon dioxide and thermal patterns for millennia.
However, we can see the immediate environmental expressions with record temperature maxima across northern Japan, Europe and even into the Arctic Circle - 32.1 celsius there, followed by bushfires. I wish you luck finding them in the archives.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -wildfires
No wonder the polar ice caps are receding. And the polar bears are NOT HAPPY!
http://theearthproject.com/ice-caps-melting/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:52 am 

Al Gore the Global Warming political guru was keen on those polar bear pictures (An Inconvenient Truth), the poor animals stranded on floating ice as their habitat disappeared from under them. The lady who took the pictures wasn't so sure since she was standing on the static ice sheet when she took them and the bears were always swimming about from berg to berg and seemed to be enjoying it:
https://www.skepticalscience.com/Muller ... bears.html

But the real question GG, is if CC is happening what do we do about it? Can we do anything about it? Or do we have to learn to live with it - adapt? Your country and ours will spend fortunes reducing carbon emissions and the savings won't even be measurable against the increasing output from China, India and the other developing countries struggling to advance on the industrial and trade stages. Our 1.6% contribution to global emissions is exceeded every year by China's increase alone.

But some countries exist within tropical climes and seem to thrive on the high temperatures, so why can't we? In Britain is the new £70 billion high speed railway (HS2) more important than new reservoirs? Or how about new pipelines from the wetter north to the drier south? Home rain water storage and purification systems? All sorts of things we can do to adapt to higher temperatures while we lie on the beaches, if we can find a space. The planet has been changing for 13.something billion years with life on Earth continually adapting to survive, the few % of species that did. And we're supposed to be the clever ones with all the answers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:13 am 

This lot has a partial solution: no more suffering when there are no more people.
I'm not sure of his time frame.
http://vhemt.org/

Then the cockroaches and rats can have the place to themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:01 am 

You wouldn't jump to conclusions on limited data but S.A. had its hottest December on record.
If that weren't enough, Tarcoola on the rail line to W.A. had a record 49 degrees yesterday while Port Augusta at the top of the gulf had a milder 48.9, both records.
Tarcoola is scheduled to have the same today. Better make sure there's plenty of beer in the 'fridge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:29 pm 

You should be so lucky Grizz, with grey skies and 3/4" of snow the temperature never rose above freezing for several days here in Blighty. All the time we were being warned that the temp. will rise by 1.5 degrees in the future?
I must admit I was hoping for a better summer than that!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:54 am 

olderandwiser wrote:
....grey skies and 3/4" of snow the temperature never rose above freezing for several days....

Spouseperson is currently sending me home reports of record temperatures in Hokkaido with minus 32 not far from where she is, and two feet of snow. Admittedly, she did go in midwinter - intentionally.

Meanwhile, Townsville (Qld) has had 1.5m of rain in not much more than a week after years of drought. 300 000 head of livestock are now putrefying in the fields. Who'd be a farmer?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:17 am 

Looking on at the Easter climate change protests and the idiots taking part I wonder what will happen to the disposabe tents and sleeping bags, I wonder about the gallons of bottled water consumed from plastic bottles? I wonder where the rivers of piss will end up or the bags of human excrement floating on the Thames? The stink of unwashed bodies must be more toxic than the exhausts of idling taxis. I might have a modicum of respect or even admiration for them if they were to take their protests to the heart of Saudi Arabia and other Opec countries where the real polution comes from but I doubt that will never happen?
Bring out Boris's second hand water cannons because the ones clogging up London today predicting 12 years till the end of the world were predicting running out of water in 25 years two weeks ago! Might as well use it before it's gone?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19