Brassed Off Britannia

Brassed Off Britannia

For a moan about the state of Britain and the World

Home   |   About BOB   |   Poetry   |   Contact Us   |   Forum Home

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: just arrived
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 pm 

Hi There the names Jimmy -I come from the county of Lancashire uk -just joined to-day. :D

Post subject: Re: just arrived
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:24 am 

Good morning Jimmy and welcome to BOB. The site has been in decline of late with a few members going to meet their maker and various huffs taking the rest, but it ain't dead yet (see below). I should mention for your benefit that I (Cumberland Cockney) am also Bob the Administrator, but I rule with a rod of jelly and you can say pretty well what you like on here without risk of censure, although any derogatory reference to my other ageing rod of jelly will earn a stern rebuke.

Now an announcement for everyone - I have talked about dumping BOB this year but I've decided another year is worth going for. If any of you have friends who might enjoy the site please invite them to join - the Register button is alive. I think my main reason for keeping BOB going is that the Brexit thing is getting really annoying and I need somewhere to moan about it.

Oh, and Jimmy, if you're a Remainer you'll be outnumbered on BOB, but please don't be put off giving your views.

And, if you have trouble finding your way around a good trick is to click on "View active topics" for all current debates. It's often difficult to assign a new topic to a particular subject heading in the home page list, but near the bottom you'll find "The Fireside" and "The Padded Cell" which cover anything you're either happy or bloody annoyed about.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:05 pm 

Welcome Jimmy, at last, somebody else to pick on. :) If you don't like what you read, change the subject.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:20 pm 

A new member? It must be Christmas! Welcome aboard, Jimmy.

And CC - good news indeed that BoB has been reprieved for the time being, and will not now hang at dawn as previously expected. Your reasons couldn't be better --- the whole country needs somewhere to moan about Brexit, but we've now got our own little space for exactly that. How do you spell "Wuh-hay"? Oh well, "Alleluia" will have to do!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:33 am 

Illness etc., has kept me away from BoB for some long time, but I appear to be recovering, so I took a look at the website today to find (a) a message from Senex who was always one of my favourite correspondents and (b) a new member indeed. So thank you Senex and welcome Jimmy.

And how good to read that the site will remain operative for another year or so to receive our views on Brexit. I see BoB as also being in remission - though I wonder whether Mrs May is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:42 am 

G'day, Jimmy; welcome aboard.
I'm the token foreigner from the opposite end of the planet.
I'll try to type without my accent so that you can follow me.

If we sound like a bunch of grumpy old men, it's only because there is so much to grump about.
That said, we are not beyond a good laugh - within limits. The jokes section should be some indication.
Such as....

Two blokes living in the Australian outback saw jobs advertised by the Queen of England. She was looking for footmen, to walk beside her carriage.

They applied and were very happy to be flown to London for an interview with Her Majesty.

She says to them: “Because my footmen must wear long white stockings, I must see your ankles to be sure they are not swollen or misshapen."

After they show her their ankles, the Queen says: “It is also important that you don’t have knobby knees, so I need to see your knees too.”

Once she has seen their knees, she says: “Now everything appears to be in shape, so I just need to see your testimonials.”

Years later, when the pair are finally released from prison, one of the blokes says to the other:
”I reckon, if we just had a bit more education, we would have got that job!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 pm 

Ok, which one of you frightened off Jimmy?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:00 pm 

We've had two more since Jimmy, signed up in order to send us to Coventry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:18 pm 

... whose titles and characters will become evident in time.
All grist for the mill. Let's hope they don't feel crushed by the wit and vehemence of present company.